Trigonometry Limit Homework: Get Started Now!

In summary, the problem asks to evaluate the limit \lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1-2 cos x}{\pi - 3x} using only trigonometry identities and limit properties. After several attempts, the student is not able to find a solution without using l'Hospital's rule or Taylor series. After some guidance, the student realizes that by replacing 1/2 with cos(π/3), the limit can be rewritten in a form similar to the definition of a derivative. Using the limit definition of the derivative of cosine, the final result is 2/3*cos'(π/3), which can be easily calculated using known limits for (1-cosx)/
songoku

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1-2 cos x}{\pi - 3x}[/tex]

Homework Equations

trigonometry identity
properties of limit for trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done several attempts but got me nowhere. I just need an idea to start.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the rule of l'Hospital?

mfb said:
Do you know the rule of l'Hospital?

Yes and I am not allowed to use it.

Okay. Can you use a Taylor series?
Without any derivatives or approximations to the functions, it looks tricky.

mfb said:
Okay. Can you use a Taylor series?
Without any derivatives or approximations to the functions, it looks tricky.

I haven't learned it yet. I think I am only allowed to use trigonometry identities and limit properties

Write [itex]\lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1-2 cos x}{\pi - 3x}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1/2- cos x}{\pi/3 - x}[/itex]. Notice that if you replace 1/2 with cos(π/3) you get something that looks like the definition of a derivative. It should be 2/3*cos'(π/3)

Edit: Do you know the derivative of cosine? If not, it is easy to calculate if you know the (1-cosx)/x and sinx/x limits.

HS-Scientist said:
Write [itex]\lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1-2 cos x}{\pi - 3x}[/itex] as [itex]\frac{2}{3}\lim_{x \to \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{1/2- cos x}{\pi/3 - x}[/itex]. Notice that if you replace 1/2 with cos(π/3) you get something that looks like the definition of a derivative. It should be 2/3*cos'(π/3)

Edit: Do you know the derivative of cosine? If not, it is easy to calculate if you know the (1-cosx)/x and sinx/x limits.

I get it. Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

Related to Trigonometry Limit Homework: Get Started Now!

1. What is Trigonometry Limit Homework?

Trigonometry Limit Homework is a type of math assignment that focuses on solving problems related to trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, using limits. It requires the use of calculus concepts to evaluate the behavior of these functions at specific values.

2. Why do we need to learn Trigonometry Limit Homework?

Trigonometry Limit Homework is an important skill to have in the field of mathematics, as it allows us to understand the behavior of trigonometric functions and their values at specific points. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

3. What are the key components of Trigonometry Limit Homework?

The key components of Trigonometry Limit Homework include understanding the properties of trigonometric functions, knowing how to use limits to evaluate these functions, and being familiar with the rules and formulas used to solve these types of problems.

4. How can I get started with Trigonometry Limit Homework?

To get started with Trigonometry Limit Homework, it is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties. You should also be comfortable with basic calculus concepts, such as limits and derivatives. It may also be helpful to practice solving simpler trigonometric limit problems before moving on to more complex ones.

5. Are there any tips for solving Trigonometry Limit Homework?

Some tips for solving Trigonometry Limit Homework include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the appropriate trigonometric function and limit to use, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the problem. It is also important to be familiar with common trigonometric identities and formulas that can help with solving these types of problems.