Trigonometric inequality with pi

In summary, the given inequality $\sin{(\pi x)} > \cos{(\pi \sqrt{x})}$ can be solved by considering cases based on the quadrants in which the angles $\pi x$ and $\pi \sqrt{x}$ lie. The solutions are found to be $x \in \left(\frac{1}{2}, 1\right]$, however, the periodicity of sine must also be considered, which may lead to additional solutions.
karseme
\(\displaystyle \sin{(\pi x)}>\cos{(\pi \sqrt{x})} \)

I don't know how to solve this. I would really appreciate some help.
I tried to do something, but didn't get anything.

If I move cos to the left side, I can't apply formulas for sum. Since arguments of sin and cos have \(\displaystyle \pi \), I think there is no way I can somehow make it simpler by using addition formulas. If I could somehow get rid of that square root, but how?! I know that \(\displaystyle x=(\sqrt{x})^2 \), but what's use of that when I don't see how to get rid of that power of 2. I tried squaring everything and doing something, but I didn't get anything from that. I don't know how to proceed. I don't see there are any formulas which I could use to make this simpler.

Must solve this somehow, would appreciate your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karseme said:
\(\displaystyle \sin{(\pi x)}>\cos{(\pi \sqrt{x})} \)

I don't know how to solve this. I would really appreciate some help.
I tried to do something, but didn't get anything.

If I move cos to the left side, I can't apply formulas for sum. Since arguments of sin and cos have \(\displaystyle \pi \), I think there is no way I can somehow make it simpler by using addition formulas. If I could somehow get rid of that square root, but how?! I know that \(\displaystyle x=(\sqrt{x})^2 \), but what's use of that when I don't see how to get rid of that power of 2. I tried squaring everything and doing something, but I didn't get anything from that. I don't know how to proceed. I don't see there are any formulas which I could use to make this simpler.

Must solve this somehow, would appreciate your help.

Hi karseme! ;)

Suppose we assume that both angles are in the first quadrant.
That is, $0\le \pi x \le \frac\pi 2$ and $0\le \pi \sqrt x \le \frac\pi 2$.
So $0\le x \le \frac 14$.

Then:
$$\sin{(\pi x)}>\sin{(\frac\pi 2 - \pi \sqrt{x})}$$
Since the sine is increasing in the first quadrant, we get:
$$\pi x>\frac\pi 2 - \pi \sqrt{x}$$
It follows that:
$$\sqrt x > \frac 12 (\sqrt 3 - 1)$$
And since $\sqrt{}$ is increasing, we find:
$$\frac 12 (2-\sqrt 3) < x \le \frac 14$$

We can continue with considering cases if the angles are in other quadrants.

Thank you very much. :) It was very helpful.

So, if we assume that both angles are in the second quadrant, then the following must be true:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{2} \leq \pi x \leq \pi \qquad \land \qquad \dfrac{\pi}{2} \leq \pi \sqrt{x} \leq \pi \, \implies \dfrac{1}{2} \leq x \leq 1 \)

Since \(\displaystyle \pi \sqrt{x} \) is in the second quadrant we have:

\(\displaystyle cos{(\pi \sqrt{x})}=-\cos{(\pi-\pi \sqrt{x})}=-\sin{(\dfrac{\pi}{2} + \pi - \pi \sqrt{x})}=-\sin{(\dfrac{3\pi}{2}- \pi \sqrt{x})}=\sin{(\pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2})} \)

So,

\(\displaystyle \sin{(\pi x)} > \sin{(\pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2})} \)

Since sine is decreasing in the second quadrant then we have:

\(\displaystyle \pi x < \pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2} \)

This quadratic inequality does not have solution(for t=\sqrt{x}).

Is this good? But, when I solve the given inequality for \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} \leq x \leq 1 \) it is true.

So, those are the solutions...is it any good?

But what about periodicity of sine? then those can't be the only solutions?

karseme said:
So, if we assume that both angles are in the second quadrant, then the following must be true:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{2} \leq \pi x \leq \pi \qquad \land \qquad \dfrac{\pi}{2} \leq \pi \sqrt{x} \leq \pi \, \implies \dfrac{1}{2} \leq x \leq 1 \)

Since \(\displaystyle \pi \sqrt{x} \) is in the second quadrant we have:

\(\displaystyle cos{(\pi \sqrt{x})}=-\cos{(\pi-\pi \sqrt{x})}=-\sin{(\dfrac{\pi}{2} + \pi - \pi \sqrt{x})}=-\sin{(\dfrac{3\pi}{2}- \pi \sqrt{x})}=\sin{(\pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2})} \)

So,

\(\displaystyle \sin{(\pi x)} > \sin{(\pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2})} \)

Since sine is decreasing in the second quadrant then we have:

\(\displaystyle \pi x < \pi \sqrt{x}-\dfrac{3\pi}{2} \)

This quadratic inequality does not have solution(for t=\sqrt{x}).

Is this good? But, when I solve the given inequality for \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{2} \leq x \leq 1 \) it is true.

So, those are the solutions...is it any good?

But what about periodicity of sine? then those can't be the only solutions?

I'm afraid we have to consider $\pi x$ to be in any quadrant and $\pi\sqrt x$ to be in the same or any other quadrant.
Furthermore, we have to consider that they may have an additional $2k\pi$ added to them that can be different for each of them. (Sweating)

Related to Trigonometric inequality with pi

1. What is a trigonometric inequality with pi?

A trigonometric inequality with pi is an inequality that contains a variable expressed in radians, with the value of pi as a coefficient. It can involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric inequality with pi?

To solve a trigonometric inequality with pi, you must use algebraic and trigonometric properties to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality. Then, you can use a unit circle or a calculator to find the values of the trigonometric function and determine the solution set.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it used in solving trigonometric inequalities with pi?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to represent the values of trigonometric functions for any angle in radians. In solving trigonometric inequalities with pi, the unit circle can be used to determine the solutions by finding the values of the trigonometric function for various angles.

4. Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric inequalities with pi?

Yes, there are some special cases when solving trigonometric inequalities with pi. One example is when the inequality involves the tangent function, which is undefined for certain values of pi. In these cases, the solution set may need to be adjusted to account for the undefined values.

5. Why are trigonometric inequalities with pi important in science?

Trigonometric inequalities with pi are important in science because they are used to model and solve real-life problems involving angles and circular motion. They are frequently used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate distances, forces, and other physical quantities.