Trigonometric identities for integral problem

In summary, the conversation is about a difficult integral that the person has been trying to solve using various methods but has been unsuccessful. They are starting to doubt that it can be solved analytically, but their professor wants them to prove that it is equal to 2*pi. The person eventually solves the problem and the integral is solved from t=0 to 2*pi.
student85

Homework Statement

I have this integral to solve:
[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ab}{a^2 cos^2 t + b^2 sin^2 t}[/tex] dt

The limits are 0 to 2*pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using trigonometric identities, trigonometric substitution... and many kinds of algebraic manipulations but I can't do it! I'm beginning to think it can't be done analytically but I doubt it because my professor wants us to prove it is equal to something else which I found is 2*pi. I used my calculator to do the integration and I did get 2*pi, so at least I know what it is equal to. However I don't seem to get anywhere trying to solve it. Please help!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like latex is acting up (maybe just for me?). You might want to just write out the code. Most of us will be able to read it anyhow.

I think if you click over the red text you see the latex code. Anyway here it is...
So it's an integral of: {ab} / {a^2 cos^2 t + b^2 sin^2 t} with respect to t.
From t=0 to 2*pi

Nevermind, I solved the problem.

Related to Trigonometric identities for integral problem

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems involving angles and triangles.

2. Why are trigonometric identities important in integral problems?

Trigonometric identities are important in integral problems because they help to transform complex integrals into simpler forms that are easier to solve. They also help to establish relationships between different trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve for unknown variables.

3. How do I use trigonometric identities to solve integral problems?

To use trigonometric identities to solve integral problems, you need to identify the appropriate identity to use for the given problem. You can then manipulate the integral using the identity to simplify it and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities used in integral problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integral problems include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the double angle identities (sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ), and the sum and difference identities (sin(α ± β) = sinαcosβ ± cosαsinβ).

5. How can I remember all of the trigonometric identities?

Remembering all of the trigonometric identities can be challenging, but practicing and using them regularly can help. You can also create visual aids such as charts or flashcards to help you remember the identities and their applications. Additionally, understanding the derivation of these identities can also help with memorization.