Trigonmetry Functions (radian circles)

If you are only interested in the fractions, you can use a calculator to convert the decimals to fractions.In summary, to find the values for cos(x) and tan(x) when sin(x) = -6/7 in the third quadrant, draw a right triangle with opp=-6 and hyp=7. Then use the Pythagorean theorem to find adj, and use the definitions of cos(x) and tan(x) to find their values as fractions. Remember to use a negative sign for cos(x) in the third quadrant.
phat2107

Homework Statement

If sin (x) = -6/7

what is cos(x) = ?
what is tan(x) = ?

the answers have to be in integer form, as in no decimals.
the "x" is supposed to be in quadrant 3

2. The attempt at a solution

This is in radians

so i did sin^-1 (-6/7) = -1.02969

the answer I am assuming is (x)

than cos (x) --> 0.5150 and since its in quadrant 3 this will -.5150
than tan(x) --> -1.664

im not sure if i am right soo far, but assuming i am. i tried using pythagoras to figure our what -0.5150 will be in decimal --> -(sqrt(13))/7

and tan --> and I am lost can't figure this out

any guide or assistance would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(x)=opp/hyp.

so if sin(x)=-6/7, what is opp and hyp?

When you get that, draw the angle x in the 3rd quadrant and construct the right angled triangle.

Draw a right triangle inside a circle of radius 7. The sine function is positive in quadrants I and II and is negative in quadrants III and IV. Since you are given that sin(x) = -6/7, which quadrants can the angle x be in? For each of these, how long does the side adjacent have to be?

Your answers won't be in integers: they will be either rational numbers (the quotient of two integers) or the quotient of a radical and an integer.

You could also use the fact that [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex] to find cos(x) (remembering that the angle is in the third quadrant so cos(x) is negative.)

Then use the fact that tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x).

In essence, both rock.freak667 and I are telling you, "yes, use the Pythagorean theorem".

The teacher asked for fractions, so my mistake as putting it as an integer sorry..

I get how to get what tan(x) is but i don't understand how to find the fraction or what the fraction looks like

the cos one worked, ( i can check online if i got the right answer and i did) but tan is confusing me,

phat2107 said:
The teacher asked for fractions, so my mistake as putting it as an integer sorry..

I get how to get what tan(x) is but i don't understand how to find the fraction or what the fraction looks like

the cos one worked, ( i can check online if i got the right answer and i did) but tan is confusing me,

tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)

or if you drew the triangle properly, you could find tan(x) by it's definition.

Use the fact that:

[tex]cos(x)=\sqrt{1-sin^2x}[/tex]

If you know the value of sin(x) you can very easy find the value for cos(x) using the formula above ^^.

Then, when you know the values for sin(x) and cos(x), just substitute here tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x) and find tan(x).

Regards.

Rock.freak667's point is that, since sine= opp/hyp, you can represent sin(x)= -6/7 as a right triangle with "opp"= -6 (on a graph, down 6 on the y-axis) and hypotenuse 7. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to determine that "adj" (measured on the x-axis) is [itex]-\sqrt{7^2- 6^2}[/itex] (negative square root because you are told that the angle is in the third quadrant and both x and y are negative there). Now that you know the lengths of all three sides of the right triangle, it is easy to find any of the trig functions. In particular, cos(x)= adj/hyp and tan(x)= opp/adj.

Related to Trigonmetry Functions (radian circles)

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc).

What is the purpose of using radian circles?

Radian circles are used to measure angles in trigonometry. They provide a more accurate and universal way of measuring angles compared to using degrees.

How do you convert between degrees and radians?

To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the degree measure by pi/180. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the radian measure by 180/pi.

What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is used to understand the properties and values of trigonometric functions at different angles.

What are the primary trigonometric identities?

The primary trigonometric identities are sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x), and 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x). These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions and solve equations.