Trig problem: max square cut from circle

In summary: We can demonstrate using the calculus, that this critical value is at a maximum for the strength function.
bmanmcfly
[SOLVED]Trig problem: max square cut from circle

View attachment 726
Since this one is homework related, ill ask this as a procession so that I can make sure that I am grasping the logic.

the question is that with a round log with a diameter of 16cm, what is the strongest log that can be cut where the strength = width * depth^2.

So, I figured the biggest square would use the diameter. I have to use trig functions, so, I have the d as \(\displaystyle d= \sqrt{(16\sin(x))}\). Then I put \(\displaystyle w=16\cos(x)\)

because d is squared relative to w.

does the logic of this make sense so far? (Like the pic)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied Lagrange multipliers?

MarkFL said:
Have you studied Lagrange multipliers?

I don't think so?

Okay, I just wanted to be sure before suggesting that method, as it would be simpler computationally, however, it can still be done. I would approach this problem not in a trigonometric manner, but rather using a coordinate geometry approach.

I would orient my coordinate axes such that the center of the circular cross section of the log is at the origin, and so the perimeter of the cross section is a circle with radius 8 (let all linear measures be in cm) centered at the origin. How can we express the perimeter?

Next, I would let the upper right vertex of the rectangular beam to be cut from the log, be at the point $(x,y)$ in the first quadrant.

Can you now express the width and height of the rectangular cross section, and using the perimeter of the log, then express the strength function in one variable?

MarkFL said:
Okay, I just wanted to be sure before suggesting that method, as it would be simpler computationally, however, it can still be done. I would approach this problem not in a trigonometric manner, but rather using a coordinate geometry approach.

I would orient my coordinate axes such that the center of the circular cross section of the log is at the origin, and so the perimeter of the cross section is a circle with radius 8 (let all linear measures be in cm) centered at the origin. How can we express the perimeter?

Next, I would let the upper right vertex of the rectangular beam to be cut from the log, be at the point $(x,y)$ in the first quadrant.

Can you now express the width and height of the rectangular cross section, and using the perimeter of the log, then express the strength function in one variable?
While I see how you are approaching this, I must use a trigonometric functions to find the dimensions.

Id be much happier not using trig functions myself. Especially that you don't have an angle and only 1 side is known.

So, what I have ATM is \(\displaystyle s=16\cos(x)•(16\sin(x))^2\)

From there, I figure I need to find a max value, so I'll find the derivative of s, \(\displaystyle \frac{ds}{dx}=-\sin^3(x)+8192\cos^2(x)\sin(x)\)

How does this sound sofar

Your strength function looks good, but your differentiation looks incorrect. I would write:

\(\displaystyle s(x)=4096\sin^2(x)\cos(x)\)

Now, just carry the constant, and differentiate the product of the two trig functions. what do you find?

MarkFL said:
Your strength function looks good, but your differentiation looks incorrect. I would write:

\(\displaystyle s(x)=4096\sin^2(x)\cos(x)\)

Now, just carry the constant, and differentiate the product of the two trig functions. what do you find?
Thanks, would it still be equivalent to simplify 2cosx•sinx giving
\(\displaystyle s(x)=2048\sin(2x)\sin(x)\)
??

Yes, you could do that, as you have correctly applied the double-angle identity for sine. (Yes)

MarkFL said:
Yes, you could do that, as you have correctly applied the double-angle identity for sine. (Yes)

Ok, so, I wound up with
\(\displaystyle \frac{ds}{dx}=4096\cos(2x)\sin(x)+2048\sin(2x)\cos(x)\)

Which I plugged into the graphing calc to get a 0at 0.95532.

So, I suppose I should ask here if I could be directed to a simple method to sketch a complex trig equation like this? Better that I remember a method to do this when it comes to test time...

Edit:Ok, sweet, I was handling this correctly, and when I used x at the first 0, it gave me the correct answers that I needed.

The question does remain, is it really just a matter of remembering the y range ?
Thanks for the help...

Last edited:
I would write:

\(\displaystyle s'(x)=2048(\sin(2x)\cos(x)+2\cos(2x)\sin(x))=4096 \sin(x)(\cos^2(x)+2\cos^2(x)-1)=\)

\(\displaystyle 4096\sin(x)(3\cos^2(x)-1)=0\)

We know we want \(\displaystyle 0<x<\frac{\pi}{2}\) hence the critical values comes from:

\(\displaystyle x=\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)\approx0.9553166181245092\)

How can we demonstrate using the calculus, that this critical value is at a maximum for the strength function?

MarkFL said:
I would write:

\(\displaystyle s'(x)=2048(\sin(2x)\cos(x)+2\cos(2x)\sin(x))=
4096 \sin(x)(\cos^2(x)+2\cos^2(x)-1)=\)

We know we want \(\displaystyle 0<x<\frac{\pi}{2}\) hence the critical values comes from:

\(\displaystyle x=\cos^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)\approx0.9553166181245092\)

How can we demonstrate using the calculus, that this critical value is at a maximum for the strength function?

Is it wrong to just divide the \(\displaystyle 4096\sin(x)\) out, since it would be dividing under a 0? It seems valid, but feels too easy.

To your question, in this case the assumption could be made that the first critical point was a max, but otherwise running the second derivative would show if the curve was up or down. Going down would prove it was a max.

Yes, you may divide through by that factor since it yields no roots for $x$ in the desired interval.

Also, you are right; the second derivative test is a valid means of determining the nature of the extremum. If the second derivative of the strength function is negative at the critical value, then you know it is concave down there, and so the extremum must then be a maximum.

Related to Trig problem: max square cut from circle

1. How do you find the maximum area of a square that can be cut from a circle?

To find the maximum area of a square that can be cut from a circle, you need to use the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse will be the diameter of the circle and the two other sides will be the sides of the square. By setting these two sides equal to each other and solving for the diameter, you can find the maximum length of the square's side, which can then be used to calculate the maximum area.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a square cut from a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a square cut from a circle is A = (d^2)/2, where A is the area of the square and d is the diameter of the circle. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem and represents the maximum area of the square that can be cut from the circle.

3. Can a square be cut from a circle with any diameter?

Yes, a square can be cut from a circle with any diameter as long as the diameter is greater than or equal to the length of the square's side. If the diameter is smaller than the length of the square's side, the square cannot fit inside the circle and therefore cannot be cut from it.

4. Is the maximum area of a square cut from a circle always equal to half the area of the circle?

No, the maximum area of a square cut from a circle is not always equal to half the area of the circle. This is only true if the diameter of the circle is equal to the length of the square's side. If the diameter is larger or smaller, the maximum area of the square will be different.

5. Can the maximum area of the square cut from a circle be greater than the area of the circle?

No, the maximum area of the square cut from a circle cannot be greater than the area of the circle. This is because the area of the square is always equal to or less than half the area of the circle, as it is derived from the Pythagorean Theorem. Therefore, the maximum area of the square will always be less than or equal to half the area of the circle.