Trig adding/subtracting and double angle formulas help

In summary, the conversation is about finding websites to help understand and solve equations, specifically finding exact values for sin 67.5 degrees without a calculator. The person suggests using the sum and difference formulas for sin and the 1/2 angle formulas. They also mention that they will not be allowed to use a calculator on the upcoming test and will be dealing with radians. They ask for help in quickly converting degrees to radians, and the other person suggests using the half angle formulas. They also provide a website for additional help with trigonometric identities.
Ishtar
i am so lost in this area and have huge test coming up on tuesday
and we don't have books for this unit either so i can't study or look at examples for that
i was wondering if you guys could find me website(s) which shows how to solve equations like these:

find exact values:
sin 67.5 degrees

i looked a lot but couldn't find websites that would explain this easily
thx

Physics news on Phys.org
67.5 degrees? the first thing I would do is subtract from 90: 90- 67.5= 22.5 or subtract 45 from it: 67.5- 45= 22.5. Now that's interesting! 22.5= 45/2, of course so sin(67.5)= sin(45+ 45/2) or sin(67.5)= sin(90- 45/2). Okay, what are the "sum and difference formulas" for sin? And, of course, you will need the 1/2 angle formulas. Do you know a formula for sin(x/2) or cos(x/2)?

thx
i know formulas for sin 2x and cos 2x
sin 2x = 2sinxcosx
we never really did 1/2 angle only double angle formulas

------------------------

also we won't be allowed calculators on our test and we will only be dealing with radians
thats what i need help in is how to convert 67.5 into radians quickly

i know that you have to divide 67.5 by 180 to get radian value but say if i get a huger number like 657 and have to convert to radians without a calculator how would i do tat

thanks a lot 4 ur help

also any websites will be help full too

Well the half angle formulas are very easy to make it is simply replacing the x by x/2
e.g. if sin2x=2sinxcosx then sinx=2sin(x/2)cos(x/2)

Trigonometric Identities - http://www.mathlinks.ro/weblog_entry.php?t=175270&sid=d364b3036ea21846acd82fbafe397137

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Trig adding/subtracting and double angle formulas help

1. What are trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas?

Trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas are mathematical expressions used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric functions. These formulas allow us to rewrite complex trigonometric expressions as simpler ones, making it easier to solve trigonometric equations and problems.

2. What are the double angle formulas in trigonometry?

Double angle formulas in trigonometry are expressions that allow us to express trigonometric functions in terms of double angles. These formulas are useful in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying trigonometric expressions.

3. How do I use the trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas?

To use the trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas, you first need to identify the given trigonometric function and determine which formula is applicable. Then, you can substitute the given values into the formula and simplify the expression to find the final solution.

4. Can I derive trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas?

Yes, trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas can be derived using basic trigonometric identities and the properties of trigonometric functions. However, it is not necessary to derive these formulas as they are readily available and widely used in mathematics and science.

5. What are some real-life applications of trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas?

Trigonometric addition and subtraction formulas are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are helpful in calculating distances, angles, and heights in real-life situations, such as measuring the height of a building or determining the trajectory of a projectile.