Tricky integration by parts question

In summary, the homework asks you to integrate between the limits 0 and 1. However, it is not asking you to find the area under the curve. Instead, you are to integrate between the limits and take the modulus of the latter. When you did the integration by parts, you forgot to distribute the negative to the integral. With that mistake corrected, you get the right answer.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int^{1}_{0} (x^{2} - 3x + 1)e^{x} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Let [tex]f =(x^{2} - 3x + 1)[/tex]
[tex g = e^{x}[/tex]
[tex] f' = 2x - 3[/tex]
[tex]\int (g) dx = e^{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We are going to have to use intergation by parts twice as the degree of the first function (f) is 2.

Important The question asks me to integrate between the limits 0 and 1. However is this asking me to find the area under the curve? I ask this because if I graph the functions' product, I am integrating above and below the x axis. Now if I was finding the area (which cannot be negative) it means I will have to integrate between the limits twice: 0 to 0.3458 and 0.3458 and 1, taking the modulus of the latter and adding them together. A glance at the question's answer shows the answer to be negative, telling me they weren't bothered about the finding the actual area, merely the summation of the area between the limits 0 and 1. Is there a SET RULE for knowing when to integrate in chunks depending on the x-axis to find the real world area and when to integrate without the worry of integrating between roots

Anyway back to my question. I am going to not bother to worry about the the graph crossing below the x axis, and integrate as a whole

First part of the integral:

[tex] (x^{2} - 3x + 1)e^{x} - \int^{1}_{0}(2x -3)e^{x}dx[/tex]

again,

[tex] (x^{2} - 3x + 1)e^{x} - (2x -3)e^{x} -2\int^{1}_{0}e^{x}dx[/tex]

gives

[tex] [(x^{2} - 3x + 1)e^{x} - (2x -3)e^{x} -2e^{x}]^{1}_{0}[/tex]

Putting the limits in yields

-2 -2e

when the answer is apparently -0.5634

Can anybody spot where I've gone wrong?

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
When you did integration by parts the second time, you forgot to distribute the negative to the integral -2∫ex dx. Make that positive and you'll get the right answer.

silly silly me :) I get the answer now

What about my other question?

Thanks
Thomas

thomas49th said:
The question asks me to integrate between the limits 0 and 1. However is this asking me to find the area under the curve? I ask this because if I graph the functions' product, I am integrating above and below the x axis. Now if I was finding the area (which cannot be negative) it means I will have to integrate between the limits twice: 0 to 0.3458 and 0.3458 and 1, taking the modulus of the latter and adding them together. A glance at the question's answer shows the answer to be negative, telling me they weren't bothered about the finding the actual area, merely the summation of the area between the limits 0 and 1. Is there a SET RULE for knowing when to integrate in chunks depending on the x-axis to find the real world area and when to integrate without the worry of integrating between roots
The given definite integral is just an integral, so just find the antiderivative and evaluate at the two endpoints. If the problem asks you to find the area between the curve and the x-axis, then you'll need to be concerned about where the function being integrated crosses the horizontal axis. For example, [itex]\int_0^{2\pi} sin(x) dx = 0[/itex], but if you want the area between the curve and the x-axis, you need to set up two integrals, one between 0 and pi, and the other between pi and 2pi. The two integrals will look like this:
[tex]\int_0^{\pi} (sin(x) - 0)dx + \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} (0 - sin(x))dx[/tex]

In each integral above I have included more than I need to, but only to make a point; namely, that the typical area element's height must be measured so as to give a positive length.

Oh, I also meant to add that it's probably easier to split your original integral into three separate integrals. One of them will require integration by parts twice, another one application of integration by parts, and the last is simple. It's a lot easier to do integration by parts on x^2e^x than it is (x^2 -3x +1)e^x.

@ Mark44 I guess I'll need to make sure I read the question properly.

Mark44 said:
Oh, I also meant to add that it's probably easier to split your original integral into three separate integrals. One of them will require integration by parts twice, another one application of integration by parts, and the last is simple. It's a lot easier to do integration by parts on x^2e^x than it is (x^2 -3x +1)e^x.

Good idea, though I'm lazy when it comes to summing lots of define integral bits because you have to put those stupid limits in everyone and add them up, BUT it pays to break it down into easier, yet slower chunks

Thanks
Thomas

Related to Tricky integration by parts question

1. How do I approach a tricky integration by parts question?

When faced with a tricky integration by parts question, it is important to first identify the parts of the function that can be integrated and differentiated. Look for patterns or familiar functions that you may have encountered before. Also, consider using a substitution to simplify the problem before applying the integration by parts formula.

2. What is the integration by parts formula?

The integration by parts formula is given by ∫ udv = uv - ∫ vdu, where u and v are functions of the variable of integration and dv and du are their respective differentials. This formula is used to integrate a product of two functions.

3. How do I decide which function to choose as u and which as v in the integration by parts formula?

The choice of u and v depends on the complexity of the functions and the ease of integration. Generally, u is chosen to be the function that becomes simpler after differentiation, while v is chosen to be the function that becomes simpler after integration.

4. Can I use the integration by parts formula multiple times in one problem?

Yes, it is possible to use the integration by parts formula multiple times in one problem. However, it is important to make sure that the terms do not repeat in the subsequent integrations, otherwise, you may end up with an infinite loop.

5. When should I use integration by parts instead of other integration techniques?

Integration by parts is useful when dealing with products of functions or functions that are difficult to integrate using other techniques. It is also helpful when dealing with functions that have a repeating pattern, such as trigonometric functions. However, if the problem can be solved using simpler integration techniques, it is recommended to use those instead.