Triangle physics homework

In summary, the plane travels a total distance of 425 km before making an emergency landing in a pasture. The rescue crew would need to fly a distance of 311.32 km at an angle of 110 degrees south of east to reach the plane. The law of cosines can be used to find the length of the third leg. The direction of the third leg can be determined by using the law of cosines and expressing the angle as an angle measured south of east.
COCoNuT
Emergency Landing. A plane leaves the airport in Galisto and flies a distance 155 km at an angle 68.0 Degrees east of north and then changes direction to fly a distance 270 km at an angle 48.0 degrees south of east, after which it makes an immediate emergency landing in a pasture.

1.) When the airport sends out a rescue crew, how far should this crew fly to go directly to this plane?

how do i find that? i included a picture that i THINK is correct.

Attachments

• untitled2.gif
    untitled2.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction of the first leg of the trip is incorrect in your picture. It says 68 degrees east of north in the problem, but your picture shows 68 degrees north of east.

Once you've cleared that up, the law of cosines should help you find the length in question (first use your knowledge of geometry to determine the angle).

am i trying to find the third leg? if so can't i do 155^2+270^2=C^2
C=311 .32

I'm afraid not. That would only work if this were a right triangle. You should find that the angle opposite the third leg is 110 degrees. The law of cosines goes like this:

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos\theta [/tex]

where θ is the angle opposite side c.

ah thanks alot. one more question...
In which direction? (Express your answer as an angle measured south of east).

how would i find out which direction it's going?

Related to Triangle physics homework

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A represents the area, b represents the base of the triangle, and h represents the height.

2. How do I find the missing side of a right triangle?

To find the missing side of a right triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. What is the difference between a scalene, isosceles, and equilateral triangle?

A scalene triangle has three different side lengths, an isosceles triangle has two equal side lengths, and an equilateral triangle has three equal side lengths. Additionally, an equilateral triangle also has three equal angles.

4. How do I calculate the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle is found by adding together the lengths of all three sides. If you know the length of each side, you can simply add them together. If you only know the lengths of two sides and the measure of the included angle, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the length of the third side and then add all three sides together.

5. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing angle of a right triangle?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing angle of a right triangle. By rearranging the formula a^2 + b^2 = c^2, you can solve for the missing angle using inverse trigonometric functions.