Triangle formed by tangents to a parabola

In summary: Anyway, to answer your question, the triangle formed by the tangents to the parabola y2=4ax at the ends of the latus rectum and the double ordinate through its focus is always a right angled isosceles triangle. The key here is to remember that the slope of a tangent to a parabola at a given point is always equal to the reciprocal of the slope of the line joining the point to the focus. This means that the slope of the tangents at the points (a,2a) and (a,-2a) is -1/2a. The line joining these two points is the latus rectum, which has a slope of -1/a. Since the latus
takando12

Homework Statement

The triangle formed by the tangents to the parabola y2=4ax, at the ends of the latus rectum and the double ordinate through it's focus is:
1) equilateral 2) acute angles isosceles 3)right angled isosceles 4) dependent on value of a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The double ordinate through the focus is the latus rectum. I tried to find the intersection of the two tangents by using the AM and GM of the co-ordinates of the points of contact with the parabola .
the two points of contact : (a,2a) and (a,-2a)
x-coordinate of intersection = GM=√a2=a
y-coordinate of intersection = AM= 2a-2a/2 =0
Which gives me the intersection of the two tangents to be (a,0) which is the co-ordinates of the focus. This is clearly wrong. Where am I going wrong in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should post how you compute(d) the slope of the tangents at the two points of contact.

takando12 said:

Homework Statement

The triangle formed by the tangents to the parabola y2=4ax, at the ends of the latus rectum and the double ordinate through it's focus is:
1) equilateral 2) acute angles isosceles 3)right angled isosceles 4) dependent on value of a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The double ordinate through the focus is the latus rectum. I tried to find the intersection of the two tangents by using the AM and GM of the co-ordinates of the points of contact with the parabola .
the two points of contact : (a,2a) and (a,-2a)
x-coordinate of intersection = GM=√a2=a
y-coordinate of intersection = AM= 2a-2a/2 =0
Which gives me the intersection of the two tangents to be (a,0) which is the co-ordinates of the focus. This is clearly wrong. Where am I going wrong in my approach?
Since x = √a2 Clearly a is not equal to +a therefore the the abcissa is -a.
And the option three is correct

Attachments

• 15582726089115062018012970823886.jpg
    15582726089115062018012970823886.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 197
Have you noticed you are replying to a post that was made almost 3 years ago?

Related to Triangle formed by tangents to a parabola

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is defined by a quadratic equation. It has a U-shaped appearance, with a single point called the vertex.

2. How are tangents formed on a parabola?

Tangents to a parabola are formed by a line that touches the curve at only one point, without crossing through it. This point of contact is called the point of tangency.

3. How many tangents can be drawn to a parabola?

There can be a maximum of two tangents that can be drawn to a parabola from a given point outside the parabola. However, if the point is inside the parabola, there will be no tangents.

4. What is the special property of tangents to a parabola?

The tangents to a parabola are always perpendicular to the line that connects the point of tangency to the vertex of the parabola. This property is known as the "tangent property" of parabolas.

5. How can the triangle formed by tangents to a parabola be used?

The triangle formed by tangents to a parabola can be used to find the coordinates of the focus and directrix of the parabola. It can also be used to solve various geometric problems involving parabolas and their tangents.