Transmission Line - Solve for frequency subject to phase angle

In summary, the problem is to find the angular frequency (\omega) such that the propagation constant (\gamma) and characteristic impedance (Z_{0}) have phase angle \frac{-\pi}{6}
Andrusko

Homework Statement

A transmission line has the following properties:

[tex]L_{0} = 1 mHm^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]C_{0} = 10 \mu F m^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]R_{0} = 10 \Omega m^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]G_{0} = 0 \Omega^{-1} m^{-1} [/tex]

That is, inductance per meter, capacitance per metre etc. The line is 10m long.

The problem is to find the angular frequency ([tex]\omega[/tex]) such that the propagation constant ([tex]\gamma[/tex]) and characteristic impedance ([tex]Z_{0}[/tex]) have phase angle [tex]\frac{-\pi}{6}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\gamma^{2} = (R_{0} + i\omega L_{0})(G_{0} + i\omega C_{0}) \cdots (1)[/tex]
[tex]Z_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{R_{0} + i\omega L_{0}}{G_{0} + i\omega C_{0}}} \cdots (2)[/tex]

and geometric representation of complex numbers will come into it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out that the ratio of the imaginary part of the propagation constant and the real part is -sqrt(3). Ie;

[tex] \gamma = \alpha + \beta i[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\beta}{\alpha} = -\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Then went to find an equation for omega from eqn (1) above by substituting in known values and taking the square root of both sides. However, you end up with a pretty hideous equation with omega distributed through it everywhere and no way to solve for it, because to take the square root you must put the complex number in polar form. I ran into the same problem with solving for characteristic impedance.

It's obvious I'm approaching this from the wrong way, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, here's how much further I've got with it.

[tex] \gamma^{2} = (R + i\omega L)(i \omega C)[/tex]

[tex] \gamma^{2} = R C \omega i - \omega^{2} L C [/tex]

[tex] \gamma^{2} = \sqrt{R^{2} C^{2} \omega^{2} + L^{2} C^{2} \omega^{4}} e^{(\pi - arctan(\frac{R}{L \omega}))i}[/tex]

[tex] \gamma = (R^{2} C^{2} \omega^{2} + L^{2} C^{2} \omega^{4})^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{0.5(\pi - arctan(\frac{R}{L \omega})) i}[/tex]

So the phase angle is all the stuff before the i in the exponent of e. If it's equal to -pi/6 the following must be true:

[tex] 0.5(\pi - arctan(\frac{R}{L \omega})) = \frac{- \pi}{6}[/tex]

re arranging it all:

[tex]\omega = \frac{R}{L tan(\frac{4 \pi}{3})} [/tex]

which is all well and good, but the calculated value of omega (5774 rad per second) does not give the right phase angle when substituted back into the original formula.

I think the problem is that the units in the argument of the arctan aren't right.

Any help?

Andrusko said:
[tex] \gamma^{2} = \sqrt{R^{2} C^{2} \omega^{2} + L^{2} C^{2} \omega^{4}} e^{(\pi - arctan(\frac{R}{L \omega}))i}[/tex]

Hi Andrusko! :smile:

Why the π ?

Why not just [tex] \gamma^{2} = \sqrt{R^{2} C^{2} \omega^{2} + L^{2} C^{2} \omega^{4}} e^{(arctan(\frac{-R}{L \omega}))i}[/tex] ?

tiny-tim said:
Hi Andrusko! :smile:

Why the π ?

Why not just [tex] \gamma^{2} = \sqrt{R^{2} C^{2} \omega^{2} + L^{2} C^{2} \omega^{4}} e^{(arctan(\frac{-R}{L \omega}))i}[/tex] ?

Oh good point. I figured the vector representing gamma would be sitting in the 90 - 180 degrees of the unit circle... but it's not necessarily. That is sneaky...

It's still not working. Changing the arctan argument yields the same answer.

Buggered if I know.

Andrusko said:
It's still not working. Changing the arctan argument yields the same answer.

Yes, 60º instead of 240º … no real difference. :redface:

hmm … looking back, I'm not clear as to what the original question was asking …
Andrusko said:
The problem is to find the angular frequency ([tex]\omega[/tex]) such that the propagation constant ([tex]\gamma[/tex]) and characteristic impedance ([tex]Z_{0}[/tex]) have phase angle [tex]\frac{-\pi}{6}[/tex]

[tex]\gamma^{2} = (R_{0} + i\omega L_{0})(G_{0} + i\omega C_{0}) \cdots (1)[/tex]
[tex]Z_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{R_{0} + i\omega L_{0}}{G_{0} + i\omega C_{0}}} \cdots (2)[/tex]

(btw, you can get capital gamma by typing \Gamma instead of \gamma :wink:)

I don't see how Gamma and Z0 can have the same phase angle … so what does the question actually mean? :confused:

1. Isn't G the conductance? If so, how can G be 0? Doesn't that mean that the transmission line doesn't conduct at all? Also, shouldn't G be the reciprocal of R? (G = 1/R). Was that just a typo? That will change your equations a lot.

2. I think tiny-tim is right. If you look at your equations as given, they can be written like this:

if

A = R + iωL = aexp(),
and

B = G + iωC = bexp()

Then we see that

γ = (AB)½ = (ab)½exp(i(α + β)/2)

and

Z = (A/B)½ = (a/b)½exp(i(α - β)/2)

The only way the arguments of these two complex numbers can be the same is if

β = -ββ = 0

However, since β = arctan(ωC/G), this can only be true if ω = 0.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies.

The conductance (G) was deemed negligible in the question. I think its a 2 part question. Ie; solve for frequency for the phase angle of gamma and then separately solve for frequency for the phase angle of impedance, not that they are both pi/6 at the same time. Or otherwise it's quite trivial (omega = 0).

The only thing I can think of is that the argument of the arctan isn't unitless. Wolfram alpha reports ohms/henries*angular frequency as a spatial angular frequency, that is units of angle^(-1). Surely that must be where the mistake is. But I'm at a loss to know what to do about it.

I went and asked my lecturer about this today and he couldn't get it out, and he wrote the question. Another piece of evidence to suggest he is crazy.

Andrusko said:
The conductance (G) was deemed negligible in the question.

Let me repeat myself:

cepheid said:
how can G be 0? Doesn't that mean that the transmission line doesn't conduct at all?

cepheid said:
Also, shouldn't G be the reciprocal of R? (G = 1/R).

Andrusko said:
The conductance (G) was deemed negligible in the question. I think its a 2 part question. Ie; solve for frequency for the phase angle of gamma and then separately solve for frequency for the phase angle of impedance, not that they are both pi/6 at the same time. Or otherwise it's quite trivial (omega = 0).

(I still don't understand the question. :redface:)

There's some detailed calculations at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#Telegrapher.27s_equations … do they help? :smile:

Related to Transmission Line - Solve for frequency subject to phase angle

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized type of circuit used to transfer electric power and/or signals from one point to another. It consists of two or more conductors separated by a dielectric material.

2. How do you solve for frequency subject to phase angle in a transmission line?

To solve for frequency subject to phase angle in a transmission line, you can use the Smith Chart, a graphical tool that allows you to plot impedances and perform calculations based on the location of points on the chart.

3. What is phase angle in a transmission line?

Phase angle in a transmission line is the difference in phase between the voltage and current waves at a specific point along the line. It is typically measured in degrees and can affect the performance and stability of the line.

4. What factors affect the frequency response of a transmission line?

The frequency response of a transmission line can be affected by a variety of factors, including the line length, the type of dielectric material used, the characteristic impedance of the line, and any impedance mismatches or reflections along the line.

5. Why is it important to solve for frequency subject to phase angle in a transmission line?

Solving for frequency subject to phase angle in a transmission line is important because it allows you to determine the frequency at which the line will operate most efficiently and with minimal distortion. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing transmission line systems for various applications.