Translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to create a translucent liquid with a similar texture to shampoo. One suggestion is to dissolve sugar in water, but the challenge is to prevent the sugar water from crystallizing. Other suggestions include using corn syrup or honey, which have a similar viscosity to shampoo. However, there is doubt that these substances have the same texture as shampoo. The original poster clarifies that they are not trying to make actual shampoo, but rather a cheap and semi-thick liquid that stays in a liquid state for a while. Starch solution is also suggested, but its clarity is uncertain.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
How can I cheaply make a translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo? I though of dissolving lots of suger in water to get a semi-thick liquid. Whats a good way to make the sugerwater stay in a liqid state without crystalizing? Is there an easier way (to make what I want)?
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Primitive shampoos are made by boiling soap in water and adding herbs for fragance and nutrients. There are lots of instructions for making shampoos online- for example http://www.pioneerthinking.com/rs_herbalshampoo.html . Synthetic shampoos use surfactants to increase the ability for the shampoo to spread throughout the hair. No shampoo that I know of uses sugar water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Corn syrup (clear sugar water) or perhaps honey, that you can find in the grocery, have roughly the same viscosity as shampoo.
Don't think I'd say they have the same texture.

Cesium - I don't want to make actual shampoo, just something that has the same consistancy.
Also, would lemon juice prevent the sugerwater from crystalizing?
Thanks.

Ah, my mistake- well homemade shampoo would have a similar consistency :smile: . I doubt lemon juice would help much with the sugar water. Could you tell us what you are using this product for and then maybe we'll have a better idea of what you need?

I guess that "shampoo" wasn't the best title. I just want to make a cheap almost-clear semi-thick substance that stays like a liquid for a while. It's not for any specific use, just a self imposed challenge.

starch solution? not sure if its totally clear though.

Related to Translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo?

What is the translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo?

The translucent liquid with the same texture as shampoo is a type of liquid substance that is used for cleaning and personal hygiene. It has a similar texture and consistency as shampoo, which is typically thick and somewhat slippery.

What is the purpose of this translucent liquid?

This type of translucent liquid is commonly used for cleaning and personal hygiene purposes. It can be used to wash hair, body, and even household items like dishes and clothes.

What are the ingredients in this translucent liquid?

The ingredients in this translucent liquid can vary depending on the specific product, but some common ingredients include water, surfactants, preservatives, fragrance, and colorants. Many also contain conditioning agents to help nourish and protect the hair and skin.

Is this translucent liquid safe to use?

Yes, this translucent liquid is generally considered safe to use. However, it is always important to read the label and follow the instructions for proper use. If you have any allergies or sensitivities, it is best to check the ingredients list before using.

Can this translucent liquid be used for other purposes besides cleaning and personal hygiene?

While this translucent liquid is primarily used for cleaning and personal hygiene, it can also have other uses. Some people use it as a laundry detergent, dish soap, or even as a substitute for body wash or hand soap. However, it is always best to check the label and make sure it is safe for the intended use.