Transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere

In summary, when solving the problem of transient heat transfer in a solid steel sphere, we first use the Lumped Capacitance method to develop an expression for the temperature variation over time. The assumptions made for using this method are checked by computing the Biot number, which has a value of 0.15, and estimating the temperature gradients. When adding a plastic layer, the heat transfer coefficient is modified in order to compensate for the added resistance and the Biot number is reduced. The specific heat and density of the plastic layer were not provided, so only the thermal conductivity is used to compute the required value for the temperature to reach 50ºC.
diegojolin
I AM DOING A PROBLEM ABOUT TRANSIENT HEAT TRANSFER AND IT SAYS:

"A solid sphere of steel has 1 cm of diameter and a initial temperature of T0 =15 ºC. It is placed into a flow of Tinf = 60 ºC where the convection heat coefficient is h = 2000 W/(m^2K):

(Density of steel rho = 7832 Kg/m^3 ; Specific heat c= 434 J / (Kg K) ; Thermal Conductivity of Steel Ks = 63.9 W / ( m K )

1. First develop an expression for the variation with time of the temperature of the sphere (Lumped Capacitance method).

2. Check that the assumptions made to use that method were right and give the order of magnitude of the temperature gradients inside the sphere

3. Compute the time required for the sphere to get to a value of 50ºC when a plastic layer of 4 mm of thickness is placed over the sphere. The thermal conductivity of this layer is 0.3 W/ (m K) "

I have been able to integrate the transient formula this way :

b = (h*A)/(rho*V*c) = 0.354

where A = 4*pi*r^2 and V = 4/3 * pi * r^3

( T(t) - Tinf ) / (T0 - Tinf) = exp ( -b * t)

This expression seems to be valid since my professor has integrated himself several times at class.

To check the assumptions I just computed the Biot number and I saw that I has a value of 0.15 which more or less acceptable.

But how can I give an estimate of the order of magnitude of the temperature gradients??

and even more, how changes this problem when I add a plastic layer? how can I compute the value required?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part 3, note that the density and specific heat were not supplied for the plastic coating. Therefore the only thing left to do is to modify the supplied heat transfer coefficient to compensate for the added resistance of the coating. It has the effect of lessening the Biot number.

Related to Transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere

What is transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere?

Transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere refers to the process of heat transfer that occurs over a spherical object when there is a time-varying temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the sphere is changing over time, causing heat to be transferred to or from the surroundings.

What factors influence transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere?

The main factors that influence transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere include the temperature difference between the sphere and its surroundings, the material properties of the sphere, the shape and size of the sphere, and the surrounding fluid or medium in which the sphere is located. Other factors such as surface roughness, surface coatings, and flow conditions can also have an impact.

What are the equations used to model transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere?

The equations used to model transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere are the transient heat conduction equation, which describes the temperature distribution within the sphere, and the convective heat transfer equation, which accounts for the heat transfer between the sphere and its surroundings. These equations can be solved numerically using methods such as finite difference, finite element, or boundary element analysis.

How is transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere different from steady-state heat transfer?

In steady-state heat transfer, the temperature of the sphere remains constant over time, resulting in a constant heat transfer rate. However, in transient (unsteady) heat transfer, the temperature of the sphere changes over time, causing the heat transfer rate to also vary. This means that the equations and methods used to analyze and model these two types of heat transfer are different.

What are some real-world applications of transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere?

Transient (unsteady) heat transfer over a sphere has many practical applications, such as in the cooling of electronic devices, the heating and cooling of food and beverages, and the design of heating or cooling systems for buildings and vehicles. It is also important in processes such as chemical reactions, combustion, and materials processing, where the temperature of a spherical object may change rapidly and impact the overall process.