Transient conduction with finite element analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a civil engineering problem involving conductive heat flow and finite element analysis. The goal is to determine the dissipation of heat from square and circular pile foundations by applying a thermal load to the center of the concrete pile. The main issue is finding an accurate solution that takes into account the cyclic loading conditions, and different approaches such as using the basic heat equation and Laplace transforms have been considered. The finite element model is dependent on thermal conductivity, heat capacity, and density, and the goal is to find approximate solutions for comparison with different model specifications.
rgh107

Homework Statement

Hi, I've got a civ engineering problem relating to conductive heat flow using finite element analysis.
I'm investigating the dissipation of heat from square and circular pile foundations. I'm applying a thermal load to the centre of the concrete pile which induces heat flow through the surrounding soil [homogeneous material]. At the end of the test cycle I am able to plot a temperature gradient in the horizontal direction through the soil. I was wondering, is there a way by which I can approximate the heat flow into the soil over the test period from the temperature gradient in terms of heat flux density? It should be noted that the finite element model is dependent on thermal conductivity, heat capacity and density.

The key problem I have is that I'm applying cyclic loading by which the magnitude of the applied thermal load is constantly varied over the course of the test period.

It should be noted that due to the nature of the problem, I am seeking only approximate solutions as a means of conducting a simple comparison with different model specifications.

Any help would be most appreciated. . .

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted obtaining solutions using the basic heat equation. However, this assumed steady-state conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm struggling to find a solution which accurately accounts for the cyclic loading conditions. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some approaches? I'm aware that finite element analysis is typically used to solve transient heat equations, but I'm unsure how to apply it in this case. I'm also aware of the existence of Laplace transforms which may be used to solve the problem, but again lack the knowledge to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Related to Transient conduction with finite element analysis

1. What is transient conduction?

Transient conduction is the process of heat transfer through a solid material over time, caused by a temperature difference between two points. It is typically described by the Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature gradient.

2. How is finite element analysis used in transient conduction?

Finite element analysis (FEA) is a numerical method used to solve complex problems in engineering and science. In the context of transient conduction, FEA is used to discretize the domain into smaller elements and solve for the temperature distribution over time using iterative calculations. This allows for a more accurate and efficient solution compared to analytical methods.

3. What are the advantages of using finite element analysis for transient conduction?

FEA allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of transient conduction compared to traditional analytical methods. It also allows for the incorporation of complex geometries, material properties, and boundary conditions. Additionally, FEA can be used to analyze the effects of different parameters on the heat transfer process, providing valuable insights for design and optimization.

4. What are the limitations of using finite element analysis for transient conduction?

One limitation of FEA is that it requires a significant amount of computational resources and time to solve complex problems. It also relies on assumptions and simplifications, which may introduce errors in the results. Additionally, FEA requires expertise in numerical methods and software tools, making it less accessible to non-experts.

5. What are some real-world examples of transient conduction analysis using finite element analysis?

FEA has been used in various industries and applications to analyze transient conduction. Some examples include heat transfer in electronic devices, thermal stress analysis in materials, and the design of heat exchangers and cooling systems. It has also been used in the development of new materials and products, such as thermal insulation materials and building materials.