Transforming Finite Series: Solving with Z-Transform?

In summary, the problem involves finding the Fourier transform of a discrete function with values of 1 for 0 ≤ j ≤ N-1 and 0 otherwise. By representing the function as a geometric series and using the identity e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x), the Fourier transform can be expressed as the given formula: \hat{x}(\phi) = \frac{e^{-i\frac{N-1}{2}\phi}sin(\frac{N}{2}\phi)}{sin(\frac{1}{2}\phi)}.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let ## x_j = \begin{Bmatrix}
{1, 0 \leq j \leq N-1} \\
{0, else} \\
\end{Bmatrix}
##

Show that ##\hat{x}(\phi) = \frac{e^{-i\frac{N-1}{2}\phi}sin(\frac{N}{2}\phi)}{sin(\frac{1}{2}\phi)}##

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\hat{x}(\phi) := \sum_{j = -\infty}^{\infty} x_j e^{-ij\phi}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get ##\hat{x}(z) = \sum_{j = 0}^{N-1} z^{-j} = \sum_{0}^{N-1} (\frac{1}{z})^{j}##

I believe this is a geometric series, with sum ##\hat{x}(z) = \frac{1-z^{-N}}{1-z^{-1}} = \frac{1-e^{-iN\phi}}{1-e^{-i\phi}}##

Of course this makes the assumption that ##|\frac{1}{z}| < 1 ## which I am not entirely sure about. Any tips appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is a geometric series. Since it is finite you do not need the condition on z for convergence.

What remains is to recast it on the form given in the assignment. I suggest working backwards if you have problems.

Sorry, I should have added that's where I am stuck. I can play around with ##e^{ix} = cos(x) + isin(x)## but it doesn't seem to be getting any closer to the final answer.

This is why I suggest working backwards. How can you express sin(x) in terms of exponents of ix?

Orodruin said:
This is why I suggest working backwards. How can you express sin(x) in terms of exponents of ix?
Got it! Thank you!

Related to Transforming Finite Series: Solving with Z-Transform?

1. What is the Z-Transform of a finite series?

The Z-Transform of a finite series is a mathematical tool used to analyze discrete-time systems. It converts a discrete-time signal from the time domain to the complex frequency domain, allowing for easier analysis and manipulation of the signal.

2. Why is the Z-Transform useful for finite series?

The Z-Transform is useful for finite series because it provides a concise and efficient way to represent and analyze a discrete-time signal. It allows for the application of various mathematical techniques, such as differentiation and integration, to the signal in order to better understand its behavior.

3. How is the Z-Transform of a finite series calculated?

The Z-Transform of a finite series is calculated using the formula Z{x[n]} = ∑(x[n]*z^-n), where x[n] is the discrete-time signal and z is the complex variable. This formula essentially sums up the product of each sample in the signal with the corresponding power of z.

4. What is the region of convergence (ROC) in the Z-Transform of a finite series?

The ROC in the Z-Transform of a finite series is the range of values for z that allows the transform to converge, or have a finite value. It is represented as a circular or annular region in the complex plane and is an important factor in determining the stability of a discrete-time system.

5. How can the inverse Z-Transform be used with a finite series?

The inverse Z-Transform can be used with a finite series to convert the signal back from the complex frequency domain to the time domain. This allows for the reconstruction of the original signal and can be useful in applications such as signal processing and control systems.