Transforming between square matrices of different order

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of constructing a transformation matrix that transforms one known square matrix A to another known square matrix B. It was determined that for this to work, the dimensions of A and B would have to be the same, otherwise there would be no unique solution. It was also suggested to use matrices to represent transformations or functions on vector spaces in order to find C1 and C2 that can transform any matrix A into the corresponding B. Finally, it was noted that it is not allowed to multiply by the inverse of A in order to achieve C1C2 = A^{-1}B, as matrix multiplication is not commutative and the product A^{-1}B is not defined if A and B have incompatible
Mårten
I have two known square matrices A and B of different order. Is there any way of constructing a transformation - e.g. a transformation matrix C - that transforms A to B? And, in that case, how do I determine C? Would it be something like this?

[tex]AC = B[/tex]
Or maybe more general, how to determine the function f that transforms A to B? Like in:

[tex]f(A_{2x2}) = B_{3x3}[/tex]
Would appreciate if someone could give me some guiding on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Mårten.

In terms of the equation AC = B, if A = 2x2 and B = 3x3 then C can't exist because A would have to be 3xn and C would have to be nx3 in order to get the right dimension.

The only way this could work with your general function is if the real dimension of A and B were the same which means that B would have some redundancy: An example redundancy is y = 2x where knowing x gives you y. This is a one-dimensional line over some region. An example of no redundancy in two dimensions is a general <x,y> vector where changing either x or y will never have any impact on the other co-ordinate.

Basically if you wanted to use matrices to do this, you would need something like f(A) = XAC where X is 3x2, A is your normal 2x2 matric and X is a 2x3 matrix.

If you have a true linear mapping, then X and C would be constant matrices (i.e. just matrices with numbers). If not, you would to use a general variable transformation (like the f(x) = x case) and that means you'll get a system of equations to generate each element of B.

The important though is to determine whether both A and B have the same intrinsic dimension because if they don't, you can't do it.

Hi Chiro,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Okey, I think I understand.

I was figuring maybe it could be possible to achieve something if I did (which you basically was suggesting as well)

[tex]C_1AC_2 = B[/tex]
and then try to find C1 and C2. But having A and B known and C1 and C2 unknown, i.e. two unknowns, there is no unique solution for C1 and C2, isn't that so? Maybe that was what you said also.

P.s. Btw, is it allowed to do [itex]C_1AC_2 = B[/itex] and then multiply by the inverse of A, i.e. [itex]A^{-1}C_1AC_2 = A^{-1}B[/itex] to achieve [itex]C_1C_2 = A^{-1}B[/itex] ? I mean, is that allowed according to matrix operation rules?

Mårten said:
I was figuring maybe it could be possible to achieve something if I did (which you basically was suggesting as well)

[tex]C_1AC_2 = B[/tex]
and then try to find C1 and C2. But having A and B known and C1 and C2 unknown, i.e. two unknowns, there is no unique solution for C1 and C2, isn't that so?

In general there willl not be a unique solution for one pair of matrices A and B.

But if you think of the matrices are representing transformations or functions on vector spaces, you can find C1 and C2 that transform ANY matrix A into the corresponding B, which is a more useful idea in physics or math.

P.s. Btw, is it allowed to do [itex]C_1AC_2 = B[/itex] and then multiply by the inverse of A, i.e. [itex]A^{-1}C_1AC_2 = A^{-1}B[/itex] to achieve [itex]C_1C_2 = A^{-1}B[/itex] ? I mean, is that allowed according to matrix operation rules?

No, first because in general matris multiplication is not commutative so ##A^{-1}C_1AC_2 \ne A^{-1}AC_1C_2##, and second because the product ##A^{-1}B## is not even defined if A and B don't have compatible numbers of rows and columns.

Okey, I think I understand, thanks for your help.

Related to Transforming between square matrices of different order

1. What is the meaning of "transforming between square matrices of different order"?

Transforming between square matrices of different order refers to the process of converting a square matrix (a matrix with an equal number of rows and columns) of one size into a square matrix of a different size. This can involve adding or removing rows and columns, and rearranging the elements of the matrix.

2. Why would you need to transform between square matrices of different order?

There are various reasons why one might need to transform between square matrices of different order. One common reason is when performing mathematical operations, such as matrix multiplication, where the number of rows and columns must match. Another reason could be to simplify a matrix for easier computation or to fit a specific format for a particular application.

3. What are the steps involved in transforming between square matrices of different order?

The steps involved in transforming between square matrices of different order may vary depending on the specific transformation needed. However, in general, the steps involve identifying the original matrix and the desired final matrix, determining the necessary changes to achieve the desired size, and performing those changes, such as adding or removing rows and columns and rearranging elements.

4. Are there any rules or restrictions when transforming between square matrices of different order?

Yes, there are some rules and restrictions to keep in mind when transforming between square matrices of different order. One important rule is that the number of rows and columns in the original matrix must match the number of rows and columns in the final matrix after the transformation. Additionally, the order in which the elements are arranged may affect the outcome of the transformation.

5. Can you provide an example of transforming between square matrices of different order?

Yes, for example, let's say we have a 3x3 square matrix with the elements 1, 2, 3 in the first row and 4, 5, 6 in the second row. To transform this matrix into a 2x2 square matrix, we would need to remove the third row and column, resulting in a matrix with the elements 1, 2 in the first row and 4, 5 in the second row. This transformation would involve removing the third row and third column and rearranging the elements to fit the new size.