Transformer with attached load: required source voltage

In summary: What I should have said is that if a transformer has a turns ratio of 1:5, and if the load connected to the secondary is a 'simple' resistor (not a complex impedance), then the load as seen by the primary will be 25 times the load connected to the secondary.This means that the source resistance as seen by the primary will be 25 times the load resistance connected to the secondary if maximum power is to be transferred.In summary, for a transformer with a turns ratio of 1:5 and a primary voltage of 400v connected to a resistive load with a secondary current of 100A, the required value of source resistance of the supply for maximum power transfer is 25 times the load resistance connected
Kev1n
1. A large power transformer has a turns ratio N1 / N2 of 1:5. When the primary voltage is 400v and it is connected to a resistive load its secondary current is 100A. Calculate the required value of source resistance of the supply to give a maximum power trnasfer

2. Vp = 400v, Ratio 1:5, Is = 100A

3. Vp = 400v, 1:5 Vs = 2000, Is = 100A, 1:5, Ip = 20A
R = Vp/Ip = 4 ohms.
I am a bit lost here, any pointers

Physics news on Phys.org

Kev1n said:

R = Vp/Ip = 4 ohms.

So far so good. :cool:

What can you say about "maximum power transfer" of a simple circuit?

collinsmark said:

What can you say about "maximum power transfer" of a simple circuit?

The Rp and Rs should be equal?

Is that what you meant

Kev1n said:
The Rp and Rs should be equal?
[...]
Is that what you meant

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'Rp' and 'Rs'. But if you define Rp as the resistance in the primary and Rs as the resistance in the secondary, then 'No'. (Transformers not only modify voltage and current, but also impedance.)

Try again by putting things in terms of Rsource and RL, where

Rsource is the source resistance of the supply (which is what you are solving for in this problem), and
RL is the load resistance, as seen by the primary source.

Kev1n said:
1. A large power transformer has a turns ratio N1 / N2 of 1:5. When the primary voltage is 400v and it is connected to a resistive load its secondary current is 100A. Calculate the required value of source resistance of the supply to give a maximum power trnasfer

R = Vp/Ip = 4 ohms.

collinsmark said:

Hello Kev1n,

Forgive me for speaking too soon in my first response. I may have caused some confusion. I seem to have skimmed over your attempted solution, and I missed a mistake.

Your calculation for Ip is incorrect in your original post. And your calculation of R = Vp/Ip = 4 ohms is also incorrect. Forgive me for the confusion of stating "so far so good." :blushing:

But what I said before about transformers changing impedance is true.

Related to Transformer with attached load: required source voltage

1. What is a transformer with attached load?

A transformer with attached load is a device that is used to convert the voltage of an electrical current to a different level. The transformer is connected to a load, which is the device that consumes the electrical energy.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer with attached load?

The purpose of a transformer with attached load is to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical current to match the requirements of the load. This ensures that the load receives the correct amount of voltage to function properly.

3. How do I determine the required source voltage for a transformer with attached load?

The required source voltage for a transformer with attached load can be determined by using the transformer's turns ratio. This ratio is calculated by dividing the number of turns on the secondary (output) side of the transformer by the number of turns on the primary (input) side. The required source voltage is then calculated by multiplying the load voltage by the turns ratio.

4. What factors affect the required source voltage for a transformer with attached load?

The required source voltage for a transformer with attached load can be affected by several factors, including the turns ratio, the type and size of the load, the frequency of the input current, and the efficiency of the transformer.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a transformer with attached load?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using a transformer with attached load. It is important to ensure that the source voltage matches the required voltage for the load to prevent damage or malfunction. It is also important to follow proper installation and maintenance procedures to prevent electrical hazards.