Transformer output voltage Vs turns ratio: HELP

In summary, the speaker built a transformer to the specs of the original with a turns ratio of 1:16 and input of 12V. However, they are experiencing low voltage at the secondary side with a no load voltage of 40V. They tried removing a 200 Ohm resistor in series with the primary but saw no improvement. Suggestions were given to check for a shorted turn, the primary current with an open secondary, the core gap, and using a low voltage source to feed the secondary. There is also a question about the purpose of the 200 Ohm resistor and the type of wire used. The speaker also mentioned the primary getting hot without a shorted turn or secondary load and the importance of sufficient turns and
hobbs125
I just built a transformer to the specs of the original.

The transformer has a turns ratio of 1:16. Input to primary is 12V.
The problem I am having is a very low voltage at the secondary side. The no load voltage was the highest (40V) that I have got out of it so far.

The primary coil has a 200 Ohm resistor in series. I removed that to get more current to the primary but got the same results?

Anyone here have any suggestions as to why I'm not getting the full secondary voltage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it gets hot then you could have a shorted turn.
How much current does the primary take when the secondary is open circuited.
Is it possible that you have an enormous gap in the core?
How does it perform with the primary and secondary reversed (using a low voltage source to feed the secondary).

Why is there a 200 Ohm resistor in series with the primary?

Noe of the coils get hot, except the primary when I remove the resistor, then it gets too hot.

Primary current with secondary open is 45mA.
There is a very small gap in the core (probably about .005"-.01")
With the primary and secondary reversed (there are 3 secondary coils so I only connected to one) turns ratio is 5.4:1. I applied 12V to the secondary and with the primary open I get 400mV. When I short circuit the primary I get .5mA.

Are you using film insulated wire?
Try using a signal generator or function generator. Vary the frequency and see what you get.
Are you using the same core material as the origional?
Is there insulation over the core?
Are you testing the transformer at the frequency the transformer was designed for?

hobbs125 said:
I just built a transformer to the specs of the original.
Is the primary a centre-tapped winding?

hobbs125 said:
Noe of the coils get hot, except the primary when I remove the resistor, then it gets too hot.

Primary current with secondary open is 45mA.
There is a very small gap in the core (probably about .005"-.01")
With the primary and secondary reversed (there are 3 secondary coils so I only connected to one) turns ratio is 5.4:1. I applied 12V to the secondary and with the primary open I get 400mV. When I short circuit the primary I get .5mA.

If the primary gets hot without a shorted turn or a secondary load, itself inductance is not high enough. Where did you get the design from? It needs sufficient turns on it; the turns ratio is another issue.

Related to Transformer output voltage Vs turns ratio: HELP

What is the relationship between transformer output voltage and turns ratio?

The output voltage of a transformer is directly proportional to the turns ratio of the transformer. This means that as the turns ratio increases, the output voltage also increases.

How do you calculate the output voltage of a transformer based on the turns ratio?

The output voltage of a transformer can be calculated using the formula Vout = Np/Ns * Vin, where Np is the number of primary turns, Ns is the number of secondary turns, and Vin is the input voltage.

What is the significance of the turns ratio in a transformer?

The turns ratio in a transformer determines the output voltage of the transformer. By adjusting the turns ratio, the output voltage can be increased or decreased, making transformers a valuable tool for voltage regulation.

Can the output voltage of a transformer be greater than the input voltage?

Yes, the output voltage of a transformer can be greater than the input voltage. This is due to the amplification effect of the turns ratio. For example, a transformer with a turns ratio of 2:1 can double the input voltage.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the output voltage in a transformer?

The accuracy of the output voltage in a transformer can be affected by factors such as the quality of the materials used, the design of the transformer, and external factors such as temperature and frequency. It is important to choose high-quality transformers and properly maintain them for accurate output voltage.