Transformations of Double Integrals with Rectangular Domains in the 1st Quadrant

In summary, the transformation is acceptable if the region in the r-theta plane is transformed into a region in the new coordinates where x=uv and y=const.
eyesontheball1
Suppose we have the double integral of a function f(x,y) with domain of integration being some rectangular region in the 1st quadrant: 0≤a≤x≤b, 0≤c≤y≤d. Would the following transformation generally be acceptable? (I've quickly tried it out several times with arbitrary integrands and domains, with some instances in which I arrive at the correct answer, and others in which I do not; this leads me to believe that either it is a permissible change of variables but one has to be careful in certain cases, or it's generally not a permissible change of variables, hence the inconsistency in my answers.)

x=rtan(θ), y = rcot(θ), with 0≤[itex]\sqrt{ac}[/itex]≤r≤[itex]\sqrt{bd}[/itex], and 0≤arctan([itex]\sqrt{b/c}[/itex])≤θ≤arctan([itex]\sqrt{a/d}[/itex])≤π/2, s.t. we have dxdy -> |J|drdθ = 2r/cos(θ)sin(θ) drdθ.

I'm unsure of this transformation because although it fails to be one to one on the boundary of the region in the r-theta plane, it's one to one everywhere else, and the determinant only fails to be nonzero at r=0, which lies on the boundary of the said region in the r-theta plane as well.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not quite valid.

The transformation is fine. The problem is that the rectangle in the xy plane does not transform into a rectangle in your new coordinates.

r and theta usually denote polar coordinates, which these are not, so it is clearer to change the notation a bit.

x = uv, y = u/v

I am setting u=r and v = tan(theta). Now a rectangle in the xy plane has boundaries with either x = const. or y = const.

x = const means uv=const, so you get a hyperbola in the uv plane. Changing v to tan(theta) will give you a different curve, but u and theta will still be dependent on one another.

y=const means u/v=const so you get a straight line through the origin in the u,v plane. Again u depends on v, so changing v=tan(theta) will just mean u depends on theta so you will not get the horizontal or vertical sides of a rectangle.

Thanks Vargo!

Related to Transformations of Double Integrals with Rectangular Domains in the 1st Quadrant

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that is used to find the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

What is the rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant?

The rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant is a two-dimensional region in the Cartesian coordinate system that is bounded by two vertical lines (y = 0 and y = b) and two horizontal lines (x = 0 and x = a), where a and b are positive numbers.

How do you find the limits of integration for a double integral with a rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant?

The limits of integration for a double integral with a rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant can be found by setting the lower limit of integration to 0 and the upper limit to the length of the side of the rectangle in the respective direction. For example, if the rectangle has sides of length a and b, the limits of integration would be 0 to a for the x-direction and 0 to b for the y-direction.

What are the steps for transforming a double integral with a rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant?

The steps for transforming a double integral with a rectangular domain in the 1st quadrant are as follows:

1. Identify the original rectangular domain in the x-y plane.
  2. Choose a transformation that will map the original rectangular domain to a new rectangular domain, such as u = g(x,y) and v = h(x,y).
  3. Determine the limits of integration for the new u and v variables by substituting the limits of integration for x and y into the transformation equations.
  4. Rewrite the integrand in terms of u and v.
  5. Evaluate the transformed double integral using the new limits of integration.

What are some real-world applications of transformations of double integrals with rectangular domains in the 1st quadrant?

Transformations of double integrals with rectangular domains in the 1st quadrant are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume, mass, and center of mass of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems.