Transformations of Discrete RVs

In summary, the conversation is about transforming discrete random variables using a joint pdf. The joint pdf, f(x,y), is given and a table summarizing it is easily created. The speaker now wants to transform the variables to U = X + Y and V = X - Y, but is unsure how to create a table summarizing the joint pdf of U and V. They suggest that u = 2, 3, 4, 5 and v = -2, -1, 0, 1, but are not sure how to use them with the probabilities from the f(x,y) table to create the joint pdf, f(u,v). They ask for guidance and eventually figure it out on their own.
dogma
Hello out there,

I have a question about the transformation of discrete random variables.

I have a joint pdf given by:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{(x-y)^2}{7}[/tex] where x = 1, 2 and y = 1, 2, 3

I can easily create a table summarizing the joint pdf of RVs X and Y, f(x,y). I now have a transformation of U = X + Y and V = X - Y.

I'm not quite sure how to go about creating a table to summarize the joint pdf of U and V.

To my feeble mind, it appears that u = 2, 3, 4, 5 and v = -2, -1, 0, 1 (with some numbers for u and v repeated).

How would I go about using u and v and the probabilities from the f(x,y) table to create (transform) the joint pdf, f(u,v)?

I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction (i.e. a good, swift kick in the rear). I apologize in advance if some of my terminology is incorrect.

Thanks a bunch,

dogma

Physics news on Phys.org
Well...all's well...figured it out.

Hi dogma,

Transformations of discrete random variables can be a bit tricky, but don't worry, I can help guide you in the right direction. First, let's review what a transformation of random variables means. Essentially, it is a way to create new random variables from existing ones by applying a function or formula. In your case, you have two random variables, X and Y, and you want to transform them into two new random variables, U and V, using the formulas U = X + Y and V = X - Y.

To create a table summarizing the joint pdf of U and V, we first need to determine the possible values that U and V can take on. As you correctly stated, for U, the values are 2, 3, 4, and 5, while for V, the values are -2, -1, 0, and 1. These values are obtained by plugging in the different combinations of X and Y from your original joint pdf.

Next, we need to determine the probabilities for each of these values. To do this, we can use the formula for the joint pdf of U and V, which is given by f(u,v) = f(x,y) * |J|, where |J| is the Jacobian of the transformation, which in this case is equal to 1. So, for each possible combination of u and v, we can calculate the corresponding value of x and y and use the probabilities from the original joint pdf to calculate the probability for that combination of u and v.

For example, for u = 2 and v = -2, we have x = 1 and y = 1, so the probability for this combination is f(1,1) = (1-1)^2/7 = 0. Similarly, for u = 4 and v = 1, we have x = 2 and y = 1, so the probability for this combination is f(2,1) = (2-1)^2/7 = 1/7. Continuing this process for all possible combinations of u and v, we can create a table summarizing the joint pdf of U and V.

I hope this helps clarify the process of transforming discrete random variables. Just remember to carefully follow the formulas and pay attention to the different values and probabilities for each combination. Best of luck with your problem!

Related to Transformations of Discrete RVs

1. How do you define a discrete random variable?

A discrete random variable (RV) is a variable that can take on a countable set of values, typically represented by integers. It is defined by a probability distribution that assigns probabilities to each possible value of the variable.

2. What is the difference between a discrete RV and a continuous RV?

A discrete RV can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a continuous RV can take on any value within a specified range. Additionally, the probability distribution for a discrete RV is represented by a probability mass function, while the distribution for a continuous RV is represented by a probability density function.

3. What is a transformation of a discrete RV?

A transformation of a discrete RV is a mathematical operation that is applied to the original variable to create a new variable. This transformation can involve adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing by a constant, or applying a function such as logarithm or exponential. The resulting variable will have a different probability distribution from the original RV.

4. How do you calculate the expected value of a transformed discrete RV?

The expected value of a transformed discrete RV can be calculated by first finding the expected value of the original RV and then applying the transformation to that value. Mathematically, it can be represented as E[g(X)] = Σg(x)P(X=x), where g(x) is the transformation and P(X=x) is the probability of the original RV taking on the value x.

5. Can a transformation change a discrete RV into a continuous RV?

Yes, a transformation can change a discrete RV into a continuous RV. For example, if a transformation involves dividing by a constant, the resulting variable will have a continuous probability distribution. This is because the original RV can only take on a countable set of values, while the transformed variable can take on any value within a specified range.