Transformations and their inverse

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a function with a given transformation, and whether there is a shortcut if one is unable to find the inverse using the Jacobian matrix. The speaker also mentions a useful fact that the Jacobian of the inverse transformation is the reciprocal of the Jacobian of the original transformation.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys

This isn't related to a particular question but i thought might be too specific for the general forum so here we go...

If you have a function f(x,y) such that u = f(x) and v= g(x) and you have some transformation T(u,v) i know you can find the inverse by getting x and y in terms of u and v and getting the Jacobian matrix etc. BUT if you can't (or like me too lazy/stupid) to be able to find f-1 or g-1 then is there a shortcut? I ask this knowing half the answer: i remembe there being a relation between the jacobian for a transform and its inverse but i don't know what it is.

The reason i ask the rest of the shpeel before it is to make sure I am understanding that correctly as well.

Thanks
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no shortcut...

Ah finally found what i think it is:
Remark: A useful fact is that the Jacobian of the inverse transformation is the reciprocal of the Jacobian of the original transformation.
Is this not true?

Related to Transformations and their inverse

1. What are transformations and their inverse?

Transformations are mathematical operations that change the shape, size, or position of an object. Their inverse is the opposite operation that returns the object to its original form.

2. How are transformations and their inverse related?

Transformations and their inverse are inverse operations, meaning that they "undo" each other. Applying a transformation followed by its inverse will return the object to its original form.

3. Why are transformations and their inverse important?

Transformations and their inverse play a crucial role in geometry, physics, and many other fields of science. They allow us to manipulate and understand the properties of objects and systems.

4. What are some examples of transformations and their inverse?

Some common examples of transformations and their inverse include translation and its inverse, reflection and its inverse, and rotation and its inverse. Other examples include scaling and its inverse, shearing and its inverse, and stretching and its inverse.

5. How can we determine the inverse of a transformation?

The inverse of a transformation can be determined by applying the opposite operations in reverse order. For example, the inverse of a translation would be a translation in the opposite direction, the inverse of a reflection would be another reflection across the same line, and the inverse of a rotation would be a rotation in the opposite direction.