Transformations, Algebra Trouble

Your final answer is correct. Great job!In summary, the equation for y=f^-1(x) is y=\frac{1-2x}{x-2}. The steps to find this answer include factoring and dividing by the common factor of (x-2).
Linday12

Homework Statement

If f(x)=[tex]\frac{2x+1}{x+2}[/tex], the equation for y=f^-1(x) is?
So I switch x, x=[tex]\frac{2y+1}{y+2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many ways, but I must be going wrong somewhere, here's what I think to be my nearest:
x(y+2)=2y+1
x(y)+2x=2y+1
x(y)+2x-2x=2y+1-2x
x(y)=2y+1-2x
x(y)-2y=1-2x
And that's as far as I get, it seems I'm stuck in an endless x loop or it simplifies too much to get the correct answer, so I must be missing a vital step or rule.
Sorry, it has been a while since I've done this, and I'm not quite sure if I am even attempting it right. Any tip would be very helpful, I think the answer is:
y=[tex]\frac{1-2x}{x-2}[/tex]

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is correct.

x(y)-2y=1-2x
y(x-2)=1-2x

Interesting. Let me see if I understand.

x(y)-2y=1-2x <----Am I to factor(not sure if that's the proper word) the left side to get that final answer then, similar to what you showed?

And then I get y(x-2) after the factor
Which then is y(x-2)=1-2x
And then I can get my final answer of:
y=[tex]\frac{1-2x}{x-2}[/tex]

So that is all I was missing? Then it makes sense now. Thank you very much!

Yep just factor and then divide by x-2 on both sides.

Related to Transformations, Algebra Trouble

1. What are transformations in algebra?

Transformations in algebra refer to the changes made to the position, shape, or size of a graph or equation. These changes can include translations, reflections, rotations, and dilations.

2. How do I know when to use a transformation in algebra?

Transformations are often used to help solve problems or simplify equations. You may need to use a transformation if you want to shift a graph or equation, make it smaller or larger, or make it symmetrical.

3. What is the difference between a translation and a reflection in algebra?

A translation is a transformation that moves a graph or equation horizontally or vertically without changing its shape. A reflection is a transformation that mirrors the graph or equation over a line, creating a symmetrical image.

4. How can I graph a transformation in algebra?

To graph a transformation, you will need to identify the type of transformation (translation, reflection, etc.), the direction and amount of the transformation, and the original equation or graph. Then, you can use these parameters to plot the new points and create the transformed graph.

5. Can transformations in algebra affect the solutions of an equation?

Yes, transformations can affect the solutions of an equation. For example, a horizontal shift can change the x-intercept of a graph, which in turn can change the solutions of the equation. It is important to consider how a transformation may impact the solutions when solving equations.