Transformation of Operators

In summary, to redefine the grad, div, and curl operators in another coordinate system, you can use the chain rule. This means that in polar coordinates, the grad operator is given by cos(theta) df/dr - (1/r) sin(theta) df/dtheta, and the same can be done for the div and curl operators. Links for further understanding are also provided.
NoobixCube
hi all,
Simple questions..

I am dealing with the del operator (grad, div curl) in one coord system, but say I parametrise my system into another one. How then do I redefine the grad, div, and curl operators.

Any links would be really helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule. For example, the grad of a function in Cartesian coordinates is given by [itex]f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}[/itex].

In terms of polar coordinates,
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{dr}\frac{dr}{dx}+ \frac{df}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex]

Of course [itex]r= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] so [itex]dr/dx= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= x/(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}= r cos(\theta)/r= cos(\theta)[/itex]

and [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex] so [itex]d\theta/dx= (1/(1+ y^2/x^2))(-y/x^2)[/itex] and [itex]d\theta/dx= -y/(x^2+ y^2)= -r sin(\theta)/r^2= (-1/r) sin(\theta)[/itex]

That is, [itex]df/dx= cos(theta) df/dr- (1/r) sin(\theta) df/d\theta[itex] and you can do the same thing for df/dy.

HallsofIvy said:
Use the chain rule. For example, the grad of a function in Cartesian coordinates is given by [itex]f_x\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{j}[/itex].

In terms of polar coordinates,
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{dr}\frac{dr}{dx}+ \frac{df}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dx}[/tex]

Of course [itex]r= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] so [itex]dr/dx= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= x/(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}= r cos(\theta)/r= cos(\theta)[/itex]

and [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex] so [itex]d\theta/dx= (1/(1+ y^2/x^2))(-y/x^2)[/itex] and [itex]d\theta/dx= -y/(x^2+ y^2)= -r sin(\theta)/r^2= (-1/r) sin(\theta)[/itex]

That is, [itex]df/dx= cos(theta) df/dr- (1/r) sin(\theta) df/d\theta[/itex] and you can do the same thing for df/dy.

Hey, thanks a lot for the reply!

Related to Transformation of Operators

1. What is the transformation of operators?

The transformation of operators is a mathematical concept that involves changing or manipulating mathematical operators to solve equations or simplify expressions. It is commonly used in algebra, calculus, and other branches of mathematics.

2. Why do we need to transform operators?

Transforming operators allows us to solve equations or simplify expressions that may be difficult to solve or understand in their original form. It also helps us to find patterns and relationships between different mathematical expressions.

3. What are some common techniques for transforming operators?

Some common techniques for transforming operators include factoring, expanding, and using the properties of operations such as the distributive property, associative property, and commutative property.

4. How does the transformation of operators relate to the order of operations?

The transformation of operators is closely related to the order of operations, which dictates the sequence in which mathematical operations should be performed. By transforming operators, we can change the order of operations to make it easier to solve equations or simplify expressions.

5. Can the transformation of operators be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the transformation of operators has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze real-world problems and make predictions based on mathematical relationships and patterns.