Transferring a program from one computer's Start menu to another's

In summary, the individual is seeking to transfer a program from the Start menu of their old computer to the Start menu of their new computer. However, this program was left out during the transfer process. They are wondering if there is a way to transfer the program using a hardwire or dragging method that they may have overlooked. The individual also expresses gratitude for any solutions to this problem.
Loren Booda
I seek to transfer a program from the Start menu of my old computer to the Start menu of my new computer.

Of all the files which transferred from my old computer to my new one, this one was apparently left out. My old computer has only floppy disk, and the new, only CD. Is there a hardwire, or dragging, method that I am overlooking?

Thanks for your solution to this, probably simple, problem.

Computer science news on Phys.org
How did you transfer everything else?

If you have an ethernet (or, well, any) connection between the machines -- or are able to upload to a website and download again -- you should be able to copy the necessary files using the usual suspects: either by mounting the external machine in the file manager (My Computer->Network Places if we are talking Windows), or using FTP or other web services.

The problem is figuring out WHAT files to copy. The start menu item's Properties (Windows again) should show you the path to the executable file. Mostly you will want everything in the directory that contains that file. Unfortunately many software packages hide bits and pieces all over the file system, in shared directories, Windows/System32, and in the Registry or other environments. The only way I know to figure it out is to start by copying the candidate directory, see if the program runs correctly on the target machine, and then try to find or intuit what's missing.

If you can't get it to run you'll probably have to re-install the program from the original media.

Related to Transferring a program from one computer's Start menu to another's

1. How do I transfer a program from one computer's Start menu to another's?

Transferring a program from one computer's Start menu to another's can be done by following a few simple steps. First, locate the program in your current computer's Start menu. Right-click on the program and select "Copy" or "Cut". Then, go to the Start menu on your other computer and right-click on an empty space. Select "Paste" to transfer the program.

2. Can I transfer a program from a Windows computer to a Mac computer's Start menu?

No, you cannot transfer a program from a Windows computer to a Mac computer's Start menu. The Start menu is a feature specific to Windows operating systems, and Mac computers have a different user interface. However, you can still transfer the program by installing it on the Mac computer from the original source or by using a virtual machine.

3. What if I cannot find the program in my Start menu to transfer it?

If you cannot find the program in your Start menu, it could be because it is not installed on your computer. You will need to install the program on your computer from the original source, such as a CD or a download. Once it is installed, you can follow the steps to transfer it to another computer.

4. How do I transfer a program from one computer's Start menu to another's if they are on different operating systems?

If the two computers are running on different operating systems, such as Windows and Linux, you will not be able to transfer the program through the Start menu. You will need to install the program on the other computer from the original source or find a compatible version for the different operating system.

5. Can I transfer a program from one computer's Start menu to another's using a USB drive?

Yes, you can transfer a program from one computer's Start menu to another's using a USB drive. First, copy the program from your current computer's Start menu onto the USB drive. Then, plug the USB drive into the other computer and paste the program into its Start menu. Keep in mind that the program may not run properly if it requires additional files or installation.