Transfer of Momentum: Ball Speed Change?

• Thread starter nilic1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary: Please reassure me about this!If you can neglect air drag, then, for the system you described, the horizontal component of velocity remains constant. What do you think happens to the vertical component of velocity?
nilic1

Homework Statement

Does the speed of a ball increase, decrease or remain the same once it leaves the hand as it being thrown horizontally?

Homework Equations

Law of conservation of momentum[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my calculations, it increases as momentum is transferred from the arm/hand to the ball. I feel it is right though according to a friend of mine it is wrong as the speed should be unaltered according to Newton's 1st law. Who of us is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
nilic1 said:
Does the speed of a ball increase, decrease or remain the same once it leaves the hand as it being thrown horizontally?
(Bold underline emphasis is mine)
According to my calculations, it increases as momentum is transferred from the arm/hand to the ball.
Once the ball has left the hand, what influence can the hand possibly have on the ball afterwards? What forces, if any act on the ball once it has left the hand? Draw a FBD.

gneill said:
(Bold underline emphasis is mine)

Once the ball has left the hand, what influence can the hand possibly have on the ball afterwards? What forces, if any act on the ball once it has left the hand? Draw a FBD.

None. Except weight and drag. So who is right? :)

nilic1 said:
Does the force of its weight cause it to accelerate?

nilic1 said:
As it stands, based upon the logic used to deduce each answer, neither of you is right :smile:

gneill said:
As it stands, based upon the logic used to deduce each answer, neither of you is right :smile:

Pardon me but how can it be that none of us is right. The speed of an object immediately after being thrown can either increase, decrease or remain the same. I don't see any other option. We are assuming no external forces are acting and using the law of conservation of momentum.

nilic1 said:
Pardon me but how can it be that none of us is right. The speed of an object immediately after being thrown can either increase, decrease or remain the same. I don't see any other option. We are assuming no external forces are acting and using the law of conservation of momentum.
One of you can have the correct answer but for the wrong reasons (incorrect logic/working). You'd get few or no marks on a test or submitted homework for an answer based upon faulty logic.

gneill said:
One of you can have the correct answer but for the wrong reasons (incorrect logic/working). You'd get few or no marks on a test or submitted homework for an answer based upon faulty logic.

I don't know whether you are understanding me. On the same principle, imagine 2 objects moving together as in the case of a person on a horse moving at 10 m/s. If the horse suddenly stops with zero velocity, the person will keep moving forward with a greater speed compared with the speed he was moving previously. Unless this is right my teachers are teaching me wrong stuff.

In my opinion Newton's 1st applies in conjunction with the principle of conservation of momentum.

When according to Newton's first law we say that the object continues to travel at constant speed, it does not mean the speed which both hand and ball have before they get detached from each other. The constant speed starts from the moment that the two bodies become detached. Am I right?

Please reassure me about this!

If you can neglect air drag, then, for the system you described, the horizontal component of velocity remains constant. What do you think happens to the vertical component of velocity? What is the speed of the ball expressed algebraically in terms of its horizontal and vertical velocity components?

nilic1 said:
I don't know whether you are understanding me. On the same principle, imagine 2 objects moving together as in the case of a person on a horse moving at 10 m/s. If the horse suddenly stops with zero velocity, the person will keep moving forward with a greater speed compared with the speed he was moving previously. Unless this is right my teachers are teaching me wrong stuff.
You are either misunderstanding what your teacher is saying or your teacher is saying something incorrect.

The person would continue moving at 10 m/s if the horse suddenly stopped (presuming that the person and horse are not attached in some way). Momentum transfer, as in a collision, requires that forces act between the objects. If the man is simply perched on the horse and he can slide without friction off of it, then no momentum transfer will take place.
In my opinion Newton's 1st applies in conjunction with the principle of conservation of momentum.

When according to Newton's first law we say that the object continues to travel at constant speed, it does not mean the speed which both hand and ball have before they get detached from each other. The constant speed starts from the moment that the two bodies become detached. Am I right?
The hand and ball become entirely independent once contact is broken. They share the same speed up to and including the instant of release. It is not a collision (the hand is not batting the ball, it is throwing it).

Likes nilic1
gneill said:
You are either misunderstanding what your teacher is saying or your teacher is saying something incorrect.

The person would continue moving at 10 m/s if the horse suddenly stopped (presuming that the person and horse are not attached in some way). Momentum transfer, as in a collision, requires that forces act between the objects. If the man is simply perched on the horse and he can slide without friction off of it, then no momentum transfer will take place.

The hand and ball become entirely independent once contact is broken. They share the same speed up to and including the instant of release. It is not a collision (the hand is not batting the ball, it is throwing it).
gneill said:

So basically you are saying that momentum cannot be conserved in such cases. Just to be sure.. one last example on the same idea.. Having two kids riding the same bike and one of them jumps of landing with zero velocity does not imply that the velocity of the bike will increase. According to you as the boy jumps off he cannot transfer momentum and so the law of conservation of momentum does not apply. Sorry for insisting but these are all examples that we were given and in which the law of conservation was applied.

Momentum is conserved in all cases. Why are you not responding to my posts? I find this very rude.

nilic1 said:
So basically you are saying that momentum cannot be conserved in such cases.
It is not conserved since there are external forces acting on parts of the system (the horse suddenly stops... what makes it stop?). Any part of the system that is not influenced by those forces will be unaffected and will be effectively their own isolated systems and will retain their own momentum separately.
Just to be sure.. one last example on the same idea.. Having two kids riding the same bike and one of them jumps of landing with zero velocity does not imply that the velocity of the bike will increase. According to you as the boy jumps off he cannot transfer momentum and so the law of conservation of momentum does not apply. Sorry for insisting but these are all examples that we were given and in which the law of conservation was applied.
No! If he jumps off in such a way as to change his own velocity he must do so by imparting a force on the bike and/or other rider. That force interaction is the mechanism for momentum transfer between the elements of the system. In your horse example you did not have the rider jump or push off. You simply had the horse stopped while the rider slid off without friction, i.e., maintained his own momentum independently since there was no force acting between the horse and rider in the direction of motion.

Last edited:
Likes nilic1 and Chestermiller
Got it finally. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Related to Transfer of Momentum: Ball Speed Change?

1. How does transfer of momentum affect the speed of a ball?

When an object with mass is in motion, it has momentum. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. When a ball collides with another object, such as a bat or another ball, some of its momentum is transferred to the other object. This results in a change in velocity, and therefore a change in speed, of the ball.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the ball and its speed after a transfer of momentum?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a ball with a larger mass will experience a smaller change in velocity and speed after a transfer of momentum compared to a ball with a smaller mass.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the transfer of momentum and the resulting change in ball speed?

The angle of impact between two objects greatly affects the transfer of momentum. When the angle is perpendicular, all of the momentum is transferred between the objects. However, when the angle is not perpendicular, only a portion of the momentum is transferred, resulting in a smaller change in velocity and speed of the ball.

4. Is transfer of momentum the only factor that affects the speed of a ball?

No, there are other factors that can also affect the speed of a ball, such as air resistance, friction, and the elasticity of the objects involved in the collision. These factors can either increase or decrease the speed of the ball after a transfer of momentum.

5. How can the transfer of momentum be used to increase the speed of a ball?

The transfer of momentum can be used to increase the speed of a ball by utilizing the principle of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. By manipulating the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision, the speed of the ball can be increased without violating this principle.