Transfer function of third order filter

In summary, you should try multiplying by the complex conjugate of the denominator in order to simplify the algebra.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello, I am trying to do this example problem in my textbook
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399350470.018469.jpg
I have my KVL and KCL equations written. I am trying to use substitutions to find V_c1 in terms of Vs and also in terms of Vout, so I can find Vout in terms of Vs. However, it seems like no matter what sequence of substitutions I do yield 0 = 0, and I am not making progress in finding the answer.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399350485.593870.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399350498.917678.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my closest attempt so far

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399352222.306117.jpg

Edit: I followed through with the algebra and it turns out to give the correct answer. My question though is this: I sort of chose to do this substitution from exhaustion. Meaning, I tried many other substitutions that yielded nothing. In a timed situation, how do I know which substitution I should make so I don't waste time trying other ones that are dead ends?

Last edited:
Well, since I got the part with the impedances correct, I am having a hell of a time trying to get it in the form they have with the H(ω). Any tips for this? I am trying to multiply by the complex conjugate but the algebra here is way too much and its too easy to make a mistake.

You need to make use of this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69476&stc=1&d=1399364247.png

Then you can proceed like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69477&stc=1&d=1399364247.png

Attachments

• Show1.png
    Show1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 593
  • Show2.png
    Show2.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,849
Likes 1 person
Thanks for that. I will look carefully over these steps.

I'm having trouble getting from

''After we make these substitutions...we get these results''

I finally got it. That is such an annoying problem. Sometimes I wonder if this is a circuits class or a complex algebra class...

Maylis said:
Sometimes I wonder if this is a circuits class or a complex algebra class...

Count yourself lucky. If it hadn't been for Steinmetz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Proteus_Steinmetz

you would be solving simultaneous differential equations instead of simple algebra with complex arithmetic! :smile:

Related to Transfer function of third order filter

What is a transfer function of a third order filter?

A transfer function of a third order filter is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of the filter. It describes how the filter affects the input signal to produce the output signal.

How is the transfer function of a third order filter derived?

The transfer function of a third order filter is typically derived from the filter's differential equations, which describe the relationship between the input and output signals in terms of the filter's components and their properties.

What is the significance of the transfer function in filter design?

The transfer function is an essential tool in filter design as it allows engineers to analyze and understand the behavior of the filter. It also helps in selecting the appropriate components and parameters to achieve the desired filtering characteristics.

How does the order of a filter affect its transfer function?

The order of a filter refers to the number of reactive components (such as capacitors and inductors) in the filter circuit. As the order increases, the transfer function becomes more complex, and the filter can provide a steeper roll-off and better attenuation of unwanted signals.

What are the important properties of a transfer function for a third order filter?

Some important properties of a transfer function for a third order filter include its poles and zeros, which determine the stability and frequency response of the filter. The phase and group delay of the filter can also be determined from its transfer function.