Transfer function of a PLC test rig

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with determining the transfer function for their test rig in a plc project involving PID control of a pump from the level of a tank. They have already built the rig and are looking to use the Ziegler-Nichols ultimate sensitivity tuning method for experimentation. Another speaker suggests using a "trial and error" approach to adjust the controller. The schematic of the set-up is attached and it is noted that the tank on the right is higher than the ones on the left.
m250390
Hi All,
I am currently building a test rig for a plc project I am doing, it involves PID control of a pump from the level of a tank. I have built my rig but now I am trying to get the transfer function of it so that I can work out some theory.

Any help on how to work out the transfer function please?

Schematic of set-up attached. I am not sure if it makes a difference but the tank on the right is about 3 metres higher than those two on the left.

Attachments

• Fiddien schematics.jpg
    Fiddien schematics.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 552
Engineering news on Phys.org
This probably won't answer your question. But if it were me, I would install the PID (make some educated guesses on your bands), start the system and use some ''trial and error" to "tweek" in the controller. I assume you haven't got any kind of control system other than manual now, so why not give it a try.

Thanks for your interest digoff. I have already tried tweaking the system manually and the response is quite acceptable. What I an trying to do is use Ziegler-Nichols ultimate sensitivity tuning method and experiment a bit with it.

Related to Transfer function of a PLC test rig

1. What is a transfer function of a PLC test rig?

A transfer function of a PLC test rig is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of the test rig. It shows how the test rig responds to different inputs and is an important tool for analyzing and optimizing the performance of PLCs.

2. How is the transfer function of a PLC test rig determined?

The transfer function of a PLC test rig is determined by conducting experiments and collecting data on the input and output values. This data is then used to create a mathematical model that describes the behavior of the test rig.

3. What factors can affect the transfer function of a PLC test rig?

The transfer function of a PLC test rig can be affected by various factors such as the type of PLC used, the programming language, the input and output devices, and the operating conditions of the test rig. These factors can all impact the performance and accuracy of the transfer function.

4. How is the transfer function of a PLC test rig used in industry?

The transfer function of a PLC test rig is used in industry for various purposes such as troubleshooting, optimizing PLC performance, and predicting the behavior of the PLC in different scenarios. It is also used in the design and development of new PLC systems.

5. What are the benefits of using a transfer function of a PLC test rig?

There are several benefits of using a transfer function of a PLC test rig. It allows for more accurate and efficient troubleshooting of PLC systems, helps in optimizing the performance of the PLC, and can save time and resources in the design and development process. It also provides a better understanding of the behavior of the PLC in different scenarios.