Train chase: collision avoidance

In summary, the driver of an express train traveling at 38 m/s [E] must reduce their speed to at least 12 m/s [E] in order to just avoid a collision with a freight train traveling at a constant velocity of 12 m/s [E] and maintaining that velocity. This is the least necessary action to avoid a collision, but the actual speed reduction needed may vary depending on the train's braking capabilities.
a lone fishy

Homework Statement

The driver of an express train traveling at 38 m/3 [E] sees a freight train 120 m ahead on the same line traveling at a constant velocity of 12 m/2 [E]. He immediately applies his brakes and just avoids a collision. Assume that the freight train maintains its constant velocity. To just avoid the collision the driver of the express train must:

a. reduce his speed to zero
b. reduce his speed to 12 m/s
c. reduce his speed to below 12 m/s
d. reduce his speed but keep well above 12 m/s
e. not possible

Homework Equations

[/B]
Not even sure if we need kinematics equation for this

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've ruled our options D and E as potential answers.
im not sure if I have to do any calculations or if this is just some sort of theory question

knowns of train:
v1 = 38m/s [E]
dtrain = d

knowns of freigh train
v1 = 12m/s [E]
v2 = 12m/s [E]
a= 0
dfreight train = 120 + d

I tried equating them but there were too many unknown variables in the way

EDIT:
whoops i meant "chase" question

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is not asking how quickly he has to slow down, but only what are the conditions such that Train 1 does not hit Train 2.
Let me ask a similar question...
If Train 1 is right behind Train 2 and NOT going to hit train 2, what can you say about the relative velocities of the trains?

their relative velocties would be the same i believe

so the question I have now is that to just avoid collision, if the train reduces its speed to the same as the freight train, they would never collide correct? But then again if the train reduces its speed to zero then they would never collide either. also if the train reduces its speed to below that of the freight train then they would never collide either

Right on all counts. So the most correct answer would be the least significant change necessary to just avoid the collision.

So that would mean reducing the train's speed to 12 m/s i assume

a lone fishy said:
if the train reduces its speed to the same as the freight train, they would never collide correct?
That does not follow.
The question statement bothers me. None of the options is a necessary and sufficient condition to avoid a collision. One of them is the least necessary action of those listed, and you have correctly identified it. But whether a collision is thereby avoided depends on how quickly the train's speed reduces.
And what really bothers me about the question is the word "just". That doesn't sit well with the list of options at all.

Edit: Please double check that you have posted the entire question, word for word.

Last edited:

Related to Train chase: collision avoidance

1. What is a train chase collision avoidance system?

A train chase collision avoidance system is a safety mechanism that uses advanced technology, such as sensors and cameras, to detect any potential collisions between trains on the same track. It works by monitoring the speed and location of each train and activating automatic braking if a potential collision is detected.

2. How does a train chase collision avoidance system work?

A train chase collision avoidance system works by using sensors and cameras to gather data about the position and speed of each train on the track. This data is then analyzed and if a potential collision is detected, the system will automatically activate the train's brakes to prevent the collision.

3. What are the benefits of using a train chase collision avoidance system?

The primary benefit of using a train chase collision avoidance system is increased safety for both passengers and train operators. By preventing collisions, it can also reduce the risk of derailments and other accidents. Additionally, the system can help improve train efficiency and reduce delays by allowing for smoother and more controlled train movements.

4. Are train chase collision avoidance systems used worldwide?

Yes, train chase collision avoidance systems are used in many countries around the world, including the United States, Europe, and Asia. However, the specific technologies and systems used may vary between countries and train companies.

5. Are there any limitations to train chase collision avoidance systems?

While train chase collision avoidance systems are highly effective in preventing collisions, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be able to detect objects on the track that are not part of the train, such as debris or animals. Additionally, extreme weather conditions or technical malfunctions may also affect the system's accuracy.