Traditional integration of X^3

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the integral of x^3 between the limits of a and b using the traditional method of dividing the area into n rectangles. The width of each rectangle is (b-a)/n and the x coordinate of any rectangle is a + (k-1) * ((b-a)/n). The person is looking for a link or explanation of the proof to help them solve the problem. Another person suggests getting F(c) =∫(0 to c) x^3 dx using the traditional approach and then finding the answer as F(b) - F(a).
axe34
Hi,

I'm trying to prove that the integral of x^3 (x cubed) between the limits of a (lower limit) and b (upper limit) is:

(b^4)/4 - (a^4)/4

I'm using the traditional method of dividing the area into n rectangles (where n tends to infinity). Hence the width of 1 rectangle is (b-a)/n

The x coordinate (left side of each thin rectangle) of any rectangle is: a + (k-1) * ((b-a)/n)

I can prove other integrations using this 'traditional' approach but cannot get the correct answer here.

Does anyone have a link to the proof or can provide it?

Thanks. This is driving me mad.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could post your calculation that gave you the wrong answer.

So you divide the area into N rectangles width ##\Delta x : N\Delta x = b-a##
The area of the nth rectangle is ##A_n=(x_n)^3\Delta x:x_n=a+n\Delta x##

The area between a and b is the sum:$$A=\frac{b-a}{N}\sum_{n=0}^N \left(a+n\frac{b-a}{N}\right)^3 $$ ... expand the cubic and sum each term separately.
Then take the limit as ##N\to\infty##

This what you tried?
Where did you get stuck?

Or just google for "riemann sum for x^3" ;)

axe34 said:
Hi,

I'm trying to prove that the integral of x^3 (x cubed) between the limits of a (lower limit) and b (upper limit) is:

(b^4)/4 - (a^4)/4

I'm using the traditional method of dividing the area into n rectangles (where n tends to infinity). Hence the width of 1 rectangle is (b-a)/n

The x coordinate (left side of each thin rectangle) of any rectangle is: a + (k-1) * ((b-a)/n)

I can prove other integrations using this 'traditional' approach but cannot get the correct answer here.

Does anyone have a link to the proof or can provide it?

Thanks. This is driving me mad.

It is probably a lot less messy to first get ##F(c) =\int_0^c x^3 \, dx## using the traditional approach, then getting your answer as ##F(b) - F(a)## (assuming ##0 < a < b##). To get ##F(c)## you just need to perform summations of the form ##\sum_{n=1}^N n^3##.

Related to Traditional integration of X^3

1. What is traditional integration of X^3?

Traditional integration of X^3 is a method used in calculus to find the antiderivative or indefinite integral of a function that contains the variable X raised to the power of 3. It involves using integration rules and techniques to find a function whose derivative is X^3.

2. Why is traditional integration of X^3 important?

Traditional integration of X^3 is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields that involve quantities changing over time. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and calculate areas and volumes under curves.

3. What are the basic steps involved in traditional integration of X^3?

The basic steps for traditional integration of X^3 include identifying the function to be integrated, checking if it follows any specific integration rules, applying integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts, and finally adding the arbitrary constant to the result.

4. Are there any limitations to traditional integration of X^3?

Yes, there are some limitations to traditional integration of X^3. It may not be possible to find an antiderivative for certain functions or the resulting integral may be too complex to evaluate. In such cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to estimate the value of the integral.

5. How can I improve my skills in traditional integration of X^3?

To improve your skills in traditional integration of X^3, it is important to understand the basic concepts and rules involved. Practice solving a variety of problems and try to identify the most appropriate integration technique for each problem. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to gain a better understanding of the subject.