Tracking the International Space Station

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Iss
In summary, the International Space Station now has a set of High Def cameras hooked up to a live stream that allows you to check its location.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The International Space Station now has a set of High Def cameras hooked up to a live stream.

High Definition Earth Viewing

When it's on the dark side of the earth, it will often appear black. You can use this image to check it's location. Refresh the page to get the current location.

orbitdisplay.aspx?icon=iss&width=300&height=300&satid=25544.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Incredible initiative! I check in a couple times a day. Love watching how fast it's zooming around.

This is cool! I like it.

How do I check the position of ISS at a particular time? Where can I find that?

Right click on the image in the Borg's post, select "reload". Or do something equivalent.

Borek said:
Right click on the image in the Borg's post, select "reload". Or do something equivalent.

That would give me the current position. But how do I know where it will be at like 07:46 PM tomorrow?

I think they predict these things at the Heavens Above site (from which the image is taken).

Hmm.. thanks. Yes they've got it under "satellites>ISS>visible passes". This is great, a star chart for viewing ISS!

Edit: don't forget to feed your location!

Borek said:
I think they predict these things at the Heavens Above site (from which the image is taken).
Yes.

If you know your coordinates, you can modify your URL to get satellite information that is specific to your location. There is also a place where you can enter a city name. For example, if you wanted Iridium Flare predictions for Sydney, Australia, the URL would look like this:

http://www.heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx?Loc=Sydney&Lat=-33.883&Lng=151.217&Alt=1&TZ=AEST

Once the coordinates are in your URL, all of the predictions will be relevant to that location. It will only tell you what you can see. I haven't seen a feature that tells you where it will be at a given time.

Found this android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.satflare.isspointer3dpro, Nice one.
And this awesome site: Space stations tracker.

Related to Tracking the International Space Station

1. What is ISS High Def Earth Viewing?

ISS High Def Earth Viewing is a live video feed from the International Space Station (ISS) that captures high definition images of Earth's surface as the ISS orbits around the planet. The feed is available for public viewing on NASA's website and other online platforms.

2. How is the ISS High Def Earth Viewing footage captured?

The footage is captured using special high definition cameras mounted on the exterior of the ISS. These cameras are controlled remotely by NASA and can be repositioned to capture different views of the Earth.

3. How often is the ISS High Def Earth Viewing footage updated?

The footage is updated in real-time as the ISS orbits the Earth, which is about every 90 minutes. However, the cameras may be turned off during certain periods, such as when the ISS is transitioning between day and night.

4. Can anyone access the ISS High Def Earth Viewing footage?

Yes, the footage is available for public viewing on NASA's website and other online platforms. It is free to access and does not require any special permissions or subscriptions.

5. What is the purpose of the ISS High Def Earth Viewing footage?

The footage serves as a way for people on Earth to see our planet from a different perspective and to appreciate its beauty and fragility. It also allows scientists to study Earth's surface and monitor changes such as weather patterns and natural disasters.