Trace of Matrix Product as Scalar Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for a scalar product on the real vector space of real symmetric n × n matrices. The scalar product is defined using the trace of the matrices and four conditions are given: the inner product is commutative, it is linear in the first argument, it is positive definite, and two matrices are orthogonal if their product is equal to the identity matrix. The conversation also addresses the need for showing that these requirements are met.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Let V be the real vector space of all real symmetric n × n matrices and define the scalar product of two matrices A, B by (Tr (A) denotes the trace of A)

Show that this indeed fulfils the requirements on a scalar product.

tracescalarproduct1.png

Homework Equations

Conditions for a scalar product:

tracescalarproduct2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to show the last part. Which can be summarized as:

<A|B> = 0 if ATA = I and BTB = I

The first 3 parts of my attempt are shown below:

tracescalarproduct3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
For (2), you say ##\mathrm{Tr}(AB)^T##. I don't really know what you mean with this. What is the transpose of a number? And why should

[tex]\mathrm{Tr}(AB)^T = \mathrm{Tr}(B^T A^T)[/tex]

For (3), you should still show that the inner product is ##\geq 0## and that it is ##=0## iff ##A=0##.

For rule 1, I think the OP means [itex]Tr ((AB)^T)[/itex], not [itex](Tr(AB))^T[/itex]. The 1st line of the proof is unnecessary. The 2nd line looks good to me. However, you are using the fact that [itex]Tr(A) = Tr(A^T)[/itex]. This is easy to prove and you should add that proof in. For rule 2, you still need to prove that <A|A> = 0 implies A = 0. You will need to use the fact that the underlying space only includes symmetric matrices.

Last edited:
Vic Sandler said:
For rule 1, I think the OP means [itex]Tr ((AB)^T)[/itex], not [itex](Tr(AB))^T[/itex]. The 1st line of the proof is unnecessary. The 2nd line looks good to me. However, you are using the fact that [itex]Tr(A) = Tr(A^T)[/itex]. This is easy to prove and you should add that proof in. For rule 2, you still need to prove that <A|A> = 0 implies A = 0. You will need to use the fact that the underlying space only includes symmetric matrices.

Yeah [itex]Tr(A) = Tr(A^T)[/itex] because for any [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] component where i=j, switching their positions don't change anything.

I'm more concerned about the point number 4. Which can be summarized as:

unscientific said:
I'm more concerned about the point number 4. Which can be summarized as:

Point number 4 says nothing of the kind. Consider A=B=I. Obviously ATA = I, as does BTB. Yet <A,B> is not zero.

Instead think of point #4 as being a definition of what it means for two quantities to be deemed as being "orthogonal" to one another.

Related to Trace of Matrix Product as Scalar Product

1. What is the trace of a matrix product?

The trace of a matrix product is a scalar quantity that is calculated by taking the sum of the diagonal elements of the resulting matrix after multiplying two matrices together.

2. How is the trace of a matrix product related to scalar product?

The trace of a matrix product is essentially the same as the scalar product of the two matrices. It represents the "dot product" of the two matrices and is a measure of their similarity.

3. Can the trace of a matrix product be negative?

Yes, the trace of a matrix product can be negative. This occurs when the resulting matrix has negative diagonal elements that cancel out the positive elements, resulting in a negative sum.

4. How is the trace of a matrix product useful in linear algebra?

The trace of a matrix product is useful in linear algebra because it provides a quick and easy way to calculate the scalar product between two matrices. It is also useful for determining the rank of a matrix and for solving systems of linear equations.

5. Is the trace of a matrix product commutative?

No, the trace of a matrix product is not commutative. This means that the order in which you multiply two matrices will affect the resulting trace. However, the trace is invariant under cyclic permutation, meaning that if you change the order of the elements in the trace, the result will be the same.