Total Resistance: Calculate 8Ω Circuit, Don't Get It?

In summary, total resistance in an electrical circuit refers to the overall resistance and can be calculated by adding up the individual resistances of all components using Ohm's Law or specific formulas. It is important to calculate total resistance as it helps determine the amount of current flowing through a circuit, prevents damage and safety hazards. In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches. Total resistance can be lower than the value of a single resistor in a parallel circuit, but will always be higher in a series circuit.
paulwct
If all the lightbulb in pic have resistance of 12 [tex]\Omega[/tex], What is the total circuit's total resistance? And the answer supposed to be 8 but I don't get it how it got 8?
Please let me know

Attachments

• Image033.jpg
    Image033.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 316
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is practically illegible, but more importantly, you need to show your attempt to figure it out yourself. Preferably using the provided template.

The answer's absolutely correct.
show us what u have done and what answer you get!

Related to Total Resistance: Calculate 8Ω Circuit, Don't Get It?

What is total resistance and how do I calculate it?

Total resistance refers to the overall resistance in an electrical circuit. To calculate total resistance in an 8Ω circuit, you need to add up the individual resistances of all components in the circuit. This can be done using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or by using the formula for calculating resistors in parallel or series.

Why is it important to calculate total resistance in a circuit?

Calculating total resistance is important because it helps determine the amount of current flowing through a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits, as it ensures that the components are not overloaded and prevents damage to the circuit.

What happens if I don't calculate total resistance in a circuit?

If total resistance is not calculated in a circuit, it can lead to unexpected results such as incorrect voltage readings or component failure. In some cases, it can also cause safety hazards such as overheating or electrical fires. Therefore, it is important to always calculate total resistance in a circuit.

What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the same amount of current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided among them. This results in different total resistance calculations for each type of circuit.

Can total resistance ever be lower than the value of a single resistor?

Yes, total resistance can be lower than the value of a single resistor in a parallel circuit. This is because resistors in parallel offer multiple pathways for current to flow, reducing the overall resistance. In a series circuit, total resistance will always be higher than the value of a single resistor.