Total mass of a cord, uniform density

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about calculating mass using an integral and the concept of density. The participants are trying to figure out the correct approach and considering methods such as parametrization and using a line integral. The final suggestion is to find the cord length and multiply by the density to obtain the mass.
RedAnsar

Homework Statement

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uztu6d.jpg

Homework Equations

I don't know how to use LaTeX, sorry...

mass = L times integral of density, where the endpoints are the bounds of the region.
However, in this case...it seems to me that things are reserved...

The Attempt at a Solution

I just really don't understand. I thought perhaps I should try and integrate the position function, but...well, that's sort of trivial, and I'm supposed to get an integral in the form of the hint, so that's definitely not the right way to think about it...the density is constant, so I guess I need to break up the cord into little pieces, and integrate that, I guess using parametrization? A line integral??

Sorry for the ridiculous question,
RedAnsar

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't you need to get the arc length from -5 to 5 and then multiply that by the density?

RedAnsar said:

Homework Statement

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uztu6d.jpg

Homework Equations

I don't know how to use LaTeX, sorry...

mass = L times integral of density, where the endpoints are the bounds of the region.
However, in this case...it seems to me that things are reserved...

The Attempt at a Solution

I just really don't understand. I thought perhaps I should try and integrate the position function, but...well, that's sort of trivial, and I'm supposed to get an integral in the form of the hint, so that's definitely not the right way to think about it...the density is constant, so I guess I need to break up the cord into little pieces, and integrate that, I guess using parametrization? A line integral??

Sorry for the ridiculous question,
RedAnsar

The density here is defined as kg/m

so it would make sense that you find the cord length and multiply by density to obtain mass.

Hint : dS**2=dx**2 + dy**2

Related to Total mass of a cord, uniform density

1. What is the total mass of a cord with uniform density?

The total mass of a cord with uniform density is the product of its density and length. This can be calculated using the formula: mass = density x length.

2. How do you determine the density of a cord?

The density of a cord can be determined by dividing its mass by its volume. The volume of a cord can be calculated by multiplying its length, width, and height.

3. Does the total mass of a cord change if its density changes?

Yes, the total mass of a cord will change if its density changes. This is because mass is directly proportional to density, meaning that as density increases, mass will also increase and vice versa.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the total mass of a cord?

The unit of measurement for the total mass of a cord is typically in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). However, it can also be measured in other units such as pounds (lbs) or ounces (oz) depending on the standard unit of measurement used.

5. How does the total mass of a cord with uniform density affect its strength?

The total mass of a cord with uniform density can affect its strength in various ways. A heavier cord may have more mass and therefore, more resistance to breaking. However, a lighter cord may be more flexible and less likely to snap under tension. The specific impact of mass on a cord's strength will depend on various factors such as the material, thickness, and intended use of the cord.