Total energy of a shell charge

In summary: When you do the integral, the potential at the center of the sphere is the potential energy, ## U ##.In summary, the formula for the electric potential energy of a spherical shell with surface charge density ## \sigma ## and radius ## R ## is ## U=\displaystyle\frac{Q^2}{2R} ##, derived by using the integral ## \displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \vec E\cdot \vec E\ \ dv## and the electric field of the spherical shell being ## Q\over R^2 ##. This can also be derived by using the integral ## \displaystyle \int \limits_{
Buffu
Suppose a spherical shell is kept at the orgin. Its surface charge density is ##\sigma## and radius is ##R##.

I think I remember the formula for its electric potential energy is ##U = \displaystyle {Q^2 \over 2R}##.

Now I want to derive it. I used ##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \vec E\cdot \vec E\ \ dv##.

I know that electric field by an sperical shell is ##Q\over R^2##.

So I got,

##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {Q^2\over R^4}\ \ dv = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {1 \over R^4 }\ \ dv##

Then I used ##v = {4\pi \over 3}R^3## to get ##\displaystyle \left({3v \over 4 \pi}\right)^{1/3} = R##

Back in integral, ##U = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \left({4 \pi \over {3v} }\right)^{4/3}\ \ dv##

For limits ##v \to \infty## I got the desired answer.

Is this correct ? I have some confusions because the proofs I saw on internet involve triple integral and spherical coordinates.

I think I am doing something wrong as why would anybody use spherical coordinates for such a simple proof ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
Suppose a spherical shell is kept at the orgin. Its surface charge density is ##\sigma## and radius is ##R##.

I think I remember the formula for its electric potential energy is ##U = \displaystyle {Q^2 \over 2R}##.

Now I want to derive it. I used ##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \vec E\cdot \vec E\ \ dv##.

I know that electric field by an sperical shell is ##Q\over R^2##.

So I got,

##\displaystyle U =\displaystyle\dfrac{1}{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {Q^2\over R^4}\ \ dv = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} {1 \over R^4 }\ \ dv##

Then I used ##v = {4\pi \over 3}R^3## to get ##\displaystyle \left({3v \over 4 \pi}\right)^{1/3} = R##

Back in integral, ##U = \displaystyle\dfrac{Q^2 }{8\pi}\int_{\text{Region}} \left({4 \pi \over {3v} }\right)^{4/3}\ \ dv##

For limits ##v \to \infty## I got the desired answer.

Is this correct ? I have some confusions because the proofs I saw on internet involve triple integral and spherical coordinates.

I think I am doing something wrong as why would anybody use spherical coordinates for such a simple proof ?
You could write the integral as (a much simplified version of spherical coordinates) ## \int \limits_{R_o}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{r^4} (4 \pi r^2) dr ## and you get the same result. Meanwhile, a (editing: scratch "alternative") proof of the original formula is to add ## dQ ## from ## Q= 0 ## to ## Q_o ## with ## dU=(\frac{Q}{R_o}) dQ ## so that ## U=Q_o^2/(2 R_o) ##.

Last edited:
Likes Buffu
Charles Link said:
You could write the integral as (a much simplified version of spherical coordinates) ## \int \limits_{R_o}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{r^4} (4 \pi r^2) dr ## and you get the same result. Meanwhile, a (editing: scratch "alternative") proof of the original formula is to add ## dQ ## from ## Q= 0 ## to ## Q_o ## with ## dU=(\frac{Q}{R_o}) dQ ## so that ## U=Q_o^2/(2 R_o) ##.

I did not understand the integral.

Isnt ##\displaystyle \int E\cdot E dv = \iiint E\cdot E dx dy dz##.
How do you get ##R## in here ?

Buffu said:
I did not understand the integral.

Isnt ##\displaystyle \int E\cdot E dv = \iiint E\cdot E dx dy dz##.
How do you get ##R## in here ?
I did two different integrals. The first one is one that you did, over ## dv ## where you replaced ## r^4 ## with an expression for ## v ##. The simpler way to do that is to use the surface area of a sphere is ## 4 \pi r^2 ## so that with spherical symmetry ## dv=4 \pi r^2 \, dr ##. (Otherwise, in polar coordinates ## dv=r^2 sin(\theta) d \theta \, d \phi \, dr ## where ## \theta ## integrates from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ## and ## \phi ## integrates from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ##.) ## \\ ## The second integral was one where you assemble the charge on a sphere, and the potential energy ## dU ## for each ## dQ ## that you add is ## dU=(Q/R_o)dQ ##. The energy required depends on the charge that is already there. The charge ## Q ## that is already there determines the potential ## V ## at that instant which the charge ## dQ ## encounters when it gets added to the shell. (You gave the formula for this one at the very beginning, but without a derivation.)

Last edited:

Related to Total energy of a shell charge

1. What is the definition of total energy of a shell charge?

The total energy of a shell charge is the sum of all the energies associated with the motion and interactions of the individual particles within the shell. It includes both kinetic and potential energy.

2. How is the total energy of a shell charge calculated?

The total energy of a shell charge can be calculated using the formula E = K + U, where E is the total energy, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the potential energy.

3. What factors affect the total energy of a shell charge?

The total energy of a shell charge can be affected by the size and mass of the shell, the velocity and direction of its motion, and the interactions between the particles within the shell.

4. Why is the total energy of a shell charge important?

The total energy of a shell charge is important because it determines the behavior and stability of the shell. It also plays a crucial role in the transfer of energy during collisions or interactions with other objects.

5. How does the total energy of a shell charge relate to conservation of energy?

The total energy of a shell charge is always conserved, meaning it remains constant unless there is an external force acting on the shell. This is in accordance with the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.