Total angular momentum of EM fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spherical coordinate unit vectors in integrals and the importance of considering the changing directions of these vectors in different regions of space. The expert explains that in order to pull the unit vector out of the integral, it must be kept in its original form, as it represents a summation of vectors at different points. This is demonstrated by comparing the incorrect and correct approaches for summing vectors along the x and y axes.
MMS

Homework Statement

The problem deals with a charged (Q) rotating sphere around its axis (Ω_0) z^^ (z hat) of radius a.
I'm asked to find the total angular momentum of the EM fields.

2. The attempt at a solution

There is a solution posted to this question and I was just wondering why my calculation aren't right. Please give it a look: http://docdro.id/WcBxAKH

I understand the calculation itself and how they've gotten to their final answer and all that but what I'm unable to get yet is why write theta in Cartesian coordinates in the first place? Why can't I keep it as the unit vector theta? Am I not allowed to take it (unit vector theta) out the integral and then calculate?

Or in general, when am I allowed to take unit vectors out the integrals when calculating something and when am I not?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spherical coordinate unit vectors are not "constant" vectors, they change their directions as you move around in space. For example, ##\hat{r}## points in the ##\hat{i}## direction for points on the positive x axis. But ##\hat{r}## points in the ##\hat{j}## direction for points on the positive y axis.

TSny said:
Spherical coordinate unit vectors are not "constant" vectors, they change their directions as you move around in space. For example, ##\hat{r}## points in the ##\hat{i}## direction for points on the positive x axis. But ##\hat{r}## points in the ##\hat{j}## direction for points on the positive y axis.

First, Thanks for the reply.
I do understand that but I can also say the opposite, right? Not just that, why can't I say that every unit vector isn't constant? I mean, there are formulas for unit vectors that transform us from Cartesian to spherical and vice-versa.
Say for example we had z^^ and not theta^^ in some integral (not particularly this one). Do I plug z^^=cos(theta) r^^ - sin(theta) theta^^ or keep it as z^^?

If you want to be able to pull the unit vector out of the integral, then you need to keep it as ##\hat{z}##. The Cartesian unit vectors do not change direction as you move around in space.

The integral represents a summation of vectors at different regions of space.

Suppose you have a vector ##\vec{v}_1 = 2 \hat{r}## corresponding to a point on the positive x-axis and a vector ##\vec{v}_2 = 3 \hat{r}## corresponding to a point on the positive y axis. The sum would be ##\vec{v}_1+ \vec{v}_2= 2\hat{r} + 3 \hat{r}##. You cannot factor out the ##\hat{r}## and express this as ##\vec{v}_1 +\vec{v}_2= (2 + 3) \hat{r} = 5 \hat{r}## [wrong]. This is because the unit vector ##\hat{r}## for a point on the x-axis is not equal to the unit vector ##\hat{r}## for a point on the y axis. They are perpendicular to each other.

But suppose you have a vector ##\vec{v}_1 = 2 \hat{i}## corresponding to a point on the positive x-axis and a vector ##\vec{v}_2 = 3 \hat{i}## corresponding to a point on the positive y axis. Now when you sum the vectors you can factor out the unit vector and get a correct answer of ##5 \hat{i}##.

TSny said:
If you want to be able to pull the unit vector out of the integral, then you need to keep it as ##\hat{z}##. The Cartesian unit vectors do not change direction as you move around in space.

The integral represents a summation of vectors at different regions of space.

Suppose you have a vector ##\vec{v}_1 = 2 \hat{r}## corresponding to a point on the positive x-axis and a vector ##\vec{v}_2 = 3 \hat{r}## corresponding to a point on the positive y axis. The sum would be ##\vec{v}_1+ \vec{v}_2= 2\hat{r} + 3 \hat{r}##. You cannot factor out the ##\hat{r}## and express this as ##\vec{v}_1 +\vec{v}_2= (2 + 3) \hat{r} = 5 \hat{r}## [wrong]. This is because the unit vector ##\hat{r}## for a point on the x-axis is not equal to the unit vector ##\hat{r}## for a point on the y axis. They are perpendicular to each other.

But suppose you have a vector ##\vec{v}_1 = 2 \hat{i}## corresponding to a point on the positive x-axis and a vector ##\vec{v}_2 = 3 \hat{i}## corresponding to a point on the positive y axis. Now when you sum the vectors you can factor out the unit vector and get a correct answer of ##5 \hat{i}##.

Great explanation. I believe I get it better now.

Thank you once again!

Related to Total angular momentum of EM fields

1. What is total angular momentum of EM fields?

The total angular momentum of EM fields is a measure of the rotational motion of electromagnetic fields. It takes into account the contributions of both electric and magnetic fields, and is a conserved quantity in classical electromagnetism.

2. How is total angular momentum of EM fields calculated?

The total angular momentum of EM fields can be calculated using the equation L = r x p, where L is the total angular momentum, r is the position vector, and p is the linear momentum. This equation can be applied to both electric and magnetic fields separately, and the results can be added together to get the total angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of total angular momentum of EM fields?

The total angular momentum of EM fields is significant because it is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant in a closed system. This allows for the prediction and analysis of the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various systems, such as in the study of optics and quantum mechanics.

4. How does total angular momentum of EM fields relate to spin angular momentum?

The total angular momentum of EM fields is related to spin angular momentum, which is the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In quantum mechanics, the total angular momentum of EM fields is related to the spin of particles through the spin-orbit coupling, which describes the interaction between a particle's spin and its orbital motion.

5. Can the total angular momentum of EM fields be changed?

In classical electromagnetism, the total angular momentum of EM fields is a conserved quantity and cannot be changed. However, in quantum mechanics, the total angular momentum of EM fields can be changed through interactions with other particles, resulting in the emission or absorption of electromagnetic radiation.