Total Angular Momentum of A System

In summary, the problem is to find the total angular momentum of the Jupiter-Sun system given the semimajor axis, eccentricity, and period of Jupiter's orbit. To solve this, we can use the equation L = u*sqrt(G*M*a(1-e^2)), where u is the reduced mass, G is the universal gravitation constant, M is the total mass, a is the semimajor axis, and e is the eccentricity. We can then use the equation L=mrv to find the contribution of the sun's angular momentum to the total momentum, by finding the distance from the center of mass to the sun and using its period.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Given the semimajor axis of Jupiter's orbit: 5.2 AU, and the eccentricity: .048 and the period: 11.86 years, find the total angular momentum of the Jupiter-Sun system. Assume it is an isolated system - ignore interactions from other planets etc.

Homework Equations

The first equation at the top of this page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

plus various geometric equations concerning ellipses.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish I had one. My thought process is that I should find the angular momentum of each mass about the location of the center of mass which could be calculated easy enough. Since angular momentum is conserved, I can pick any arbitrary location and then calculate it. The problem I'm running into is mainly - assuming the above approach is correct - how to find the velocity of either Jupiter or the Sun at a given point on its orbit. With enough time perhaps I could derive an equation using Newton's universal gravitation law and what not, but I've been staring at this problem for a while and nothing is coming to me. Maybe my approach is inherently flawed...any help is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: this is problem 2.6 in An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics, 2nd Ed.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump...

I think I've solved my original question, by using the formula L = u*sqrt(G*M*a(1-e^2)) where u is the reduced mass (m1m2)/(m1 + m2), G is the universal gravitation constant and M is the total masses m1 + m2 and finally since e=0, L=1.926E43.

The next part of this questions asks what contribution the sun makes to the total momentum, assuming the orbital eccentricity of the sun is 0. My thought process is that since we can reduce our initial two body problem to simply the reduced mass orbiting about the COM which has mass M, I should be able to somehow "cut-out" the mass of the sun from the reduced mass and calculate it's angular momentum individually. All I would need to do is find the distance from the COM to the sun, and since I know it's period, I use the standard equation L=mrv and the answer should come right out. Is this the correct way of viewing the situation? If so, how do I find r? Every calculation I use factors in the reduced mass, but I don't think I want that...

Related to Total Angular Momentum of A System

What is total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. It is the sum of the angular momenta of all the individual components of the system.

How is total angular momentum calculated?

Total angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of a system by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

Why is total angular momentum important in physics?

Total angular momentum is a conserved quantity in a closed system, meaning it remains constant even as the individual components of the system may change. This makes it an important concept in understanding the behavior of rotating objects and systems.

How does total angular momentum differ from linear momentum?

While linear momentum describes the motion of an object in a straight line, total angular momentum describes the rotational motion of a system. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while angular momentum is a vector quantity.

Can total angular momentum be changed?

In a closed system, total angular momentum cannot be changed. However, external torques can change the angular momentum of individual components within the system, causing a redistribution of total angular momentum within the system.