Tossing upward with air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses using a kinematic equation to solve for distance when given information about vertical velocity, mass, and frictional coefficient. However, the equation used is incorrect as it does not take into account the acceleration caused by drag force. A hint is given to find this acceleration using Newton's Second Law.
jvileisis
Could someone tell me if my approch to this is correct? I am given the change in vertical v final(zero), v initial, mass, and frictional coefficient. The question askes for distance. I set up the equation vf^2=vi^2+2ad(mg(frictional coefficent))

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by that equation. If you are multiplying the 2ad term by the force of friction from the air then you are incorrect.

That kinematic equation is still valid in its normal form. The difference is that "a" will not be the acceleration caused by gravity, but it will be the acceleration caused by the sum of gravity and the drag force.

HINT: Can you find this acceleration starting from Newton's Second Law?

Your approach to this problem appears to be correct. To find the distance, you can use the equation d = (vf^2 - vi^2) / (2a), where d is the distance, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration would be equal to g (gravity) minus the frictional force (mg(frictional coefficient)). This will give you the distance traveled while taking into account the air resistance.

Related to Tossing upward with air resistance

What is tossing upward with air resistance?

Tossing upward with air resistance is a physical phenomenon in which an object is thrown into the air and experiences the resistance of air particles as it moves through the air.

What factors affect the behavior of an object tossed upward with air resistance?

The behavior of an object tossed upward with air resistance is affected by factors such as the shape and size of the object, the speed and angle at which it is thrown, and the density and viscosity of the air.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of an object tossed upward?

Air resistance can cause an object tossed upward to deviate from its ideal trajectory, slowing it down and causing it to fall at a steeper angle. This is because the force of air resistance acts opposite to the direction of motion, reducing the object's velocity.

Is it possible to eliminate air resistance when tossing an object upward?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate air resistance when tossing an object upward. However, certain factors such as the shape and size of the object can be manipulated to reduce the effects of air resistance.

How does air resistance affect the maximum height reached by an object tossed upward?

Air resistance can significantly reduce the maximum height reached by an object tossed upward. As the object moves upward, the force of air resistance increases, eventually becoming equal to and then greater than the force of gravity, causing the object to fall back down.