Tossing an item up a slope, calculating it's length from start to landing

In summary, the task is to find the formula for the length between the arrow's initial position and the position where it lands, given the initial speed of the arrow (V_0), the angle between the arrow's trajectory and the horizontal plane (\theta), and the slope of the angle (\alpha). The formulas for the arrow's position measured by time for x and y coordinates respectively are x(t) = V_{o} * cos\theta * t and y(t) = V_{o} * sin\theta * t - \frac{1}{2} * g * t^2. By setting y(x) = \alpha x and replacing x with V_o cos\theta t and V_oy and V_ox
Molecular

Homework Statement

Right so I have the following scenario: An archer shoots an arrow upward a slope of angle [tex]\alpha[/tex], the angle between the arrows trajectory and the horizontal plane is denoted
[tex]\theta[/tex]
The arrows speed in the direction in which it is fired is denoted [tex]V_0[/tex]
as shown in this crudely drawn picture:

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/8735/arrownb4.jpg

My task is to find the formula for the length between the arrows initial position to the position where it lands, for all [tex]V_0[/tex], [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know the answer to the question is supposed to be:
[tex]\frac{2V^{2}_{o}cos^2\theta}{g*cos\alpha} * (tan\theta - tan\alpha)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I started off by thinking that the arrows position measured by time for x and y coordinates respectively are:

[tex] x(t) = V_{o} * cos\theta * t [/tex]

[tex]y(t) = V_{o} * sin\theta * t - \frac{1}{2} * g * t^2[/tex]

I went on to show that as a function of x, y can be written:
[tex]y(x) = \frac{V_0y}{V_0x}x - \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{ox}}x^2[/tex]
Since I know that on this items trajectory it has to stop where it intersects with the line [tex] y(x) = \alpha x[/tex]

I put:
[tex]\alpha x = \frac{V_oy}{V_0x}x - \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{ox}}x^2[/tex]

Now, replacing x with [tex]V_o cos\theta t[/tex] and [tex]V_oy[/tex] and [tex]V_ox[/tex] with their respective formulas of t and sin/cos [tex]\theta[/tex] I eventually wound up with the following expression of t

[tex] t = \frac{(tan\theta - \alpha)2cos\theta}{g}[/tex]

and further more figured that since the length from the starting position to the position where the arrow lands is [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and I now have an expression for t that only uses constants, and I also know formulas for the position of x and for the position of y, I could replace the t in these formulas and put them in the root above to gain an expression for the length L. Such as this:

[tex] x(t) = V_{o} * cos\theta * t [/tex]
[tex]y(t) = V_{o} * sin\theta * t - \frac{1}{2} * g * t^2[/tex]
[tex] t = \frac{(tan\theta - \alpha)2cos\theta}{g}[/tex]
[tex] L = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]
[tex] L = (\sqrt{V_{o} * cos\theta * \frac{(tan\theta - \alpha)2cos\theta}{g})^2 + (V_{o} * sin\theta * \frac{(tan\theta - \alpha)2cos\theta}{g} - \frac{1}{2} * g * (\frac{(tan\theta - \alpha)2cos\theta}{g})^2 ) ^2}} [/tex]

However as most of you can probably observe this is a right mess and most likely won't lead anywhere at all, and I'm willing to bet my left leg there's something quite easy I should be able to observe in order to solve the problme, I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Anyone willing to give me a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

So anyone have any better idea on how to solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Molecular said:
… However as most of you can probably observe this is a right mess and most likely won't lead anywhere at all, and I'm willing to bet my left leg there's something quite easy I should be able to observe in order to solve the problme, I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Anyone willing to give me a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

So anyone have any better idea on how to solve this?

Hi Molecular! :smile:

Yes, your proof looks fine. :smile:

(though you should be using tanα instead of α, and you could have left out the y(x) formula, and just put y = x tanα in the y(t) and x(t) formulas :wink:)

To get L, I'd recommend simplifying by defining µ (say) = 2cosθ (tanθ - tanα)/g …

the formula should then look quite neat. :smile:

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your thought process and attempt at finding a solution to this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the physics involved and have made some progress in trying to find a solution.

One suggestion I have is to try breaking the problem down into smaller parts. Instead of trying to find a formula for the length from start to landing for all values of V_0, \theta and \alpha, try solving for a specific set of values first. Once you have a solution for a specific case, you can then try to generalize it for all values.

Another approach could be to use the concept of projectile motion to solve this problem. Since the arrow is being shot at an angle, it will follow a parabolic path. You can use the equations of projectile motion to determine the time of flight and the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by the arrow. From there, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance from start to landing.

I hope these suggestions help guide you towards finding a solution. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Tossing an item up a slope, calculating it's length from start to landing

1. How do you calculate the horizontal distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope?

To calculate the horizontal distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope, you can use the formula d = us² / 2g, where d is the horizontal distance, u is the initial velocity, s is the slope length, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope?

The factors that affect the distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope include the initial velocity, the slope length, the angle of the slope, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the distance for any slope angle?

No, the formula d = us² / 2g is specifically for a slope that is inclined at a 45 degree angle. If the slope angle is different, you will need to use a different formula or make adjustments to the existing formula.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the distance it will travel when tossed up a slope?

The mass of the object does not have a direct effect on the horizontal distance it will travel when tossed up a slope. However, a heavier object may have a different initial velocity or be affected differently by external forces, which can ultimately impact the distance it travels.

5. What is the significance of calculating the distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope?

Calculating the distance an object will travel when tossed up a slope can help us better understand the motion of objects in different environments and can be useful in predicting the behavior of objects in real-world scenarios. It also allows us to make precise measurements and calculations for various scientific experiments and applications.