Torques on a rectangular plate

In summary, the system on the picture has equilibrium if the torque around point A is equal to the torque around point B.
zezima1
Consider the system on the attached picture showing a rectangular plate attached to a pole by two screws - one in A and one in B. Now to figure out the condition for equilibrium one would calculate the torques around point A and B to find that one screw must be pulling and the other one pushing the plate with a horizontale force of equal magnitude.

Now my problem is that I have never really understood this whole idea, that you should be able to get zero torque around every possible rotation axis. Does that then mean that you can also calculate the torque around for instance a point C halfway up the rod?
If so let's try do that. I marked C on the picture. Then you get a torque equal to ½bmg. But wouldn't that then mean that the force in point A is creating an extra torque as seen from a point of view where C is that axis of rotation?

Attachments

• Unavngivet.png
    Unavngivet.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
zezima1 said:
Now my problem is that I have never really understood this whole idea, that you should be able to get zero torque around every possible rotation axis. Does that then mean that you can also calculate the torque around for instance a point C halfway up the rod?
Sure. You can use any point for calculating torques. (Some may prove easier than others.)
If so let's try do that. I marked C on the picture. Then you get a torque equal to ½bmg.
That's the torque about C due to the weight of the plate. Now include the torques due to the forces at A and B.
But wouldn't that then mean that the force in point A is creating an extra torque as seen from a point of view where C is that axis of rotation?
Not sure what you mean. You'll get the same values for the forces at A and B as you would have using any other point as your axis.

Hmm I got it now, I wasn't thinking properly. Thanks

Related to Torques on a rectangular plate

1. What is a torque on a rectangular plate?

A torque on a rectangular plate is a twisting force that is applied to the plate in such a way that it causes rotational motion. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (N⋅m) or foot-pounds (ft⋅lb).

2. How is the torque on a rectangular plate calculated?

The torque on a rectangular plate can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the plate by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation τ = F x r, where τ is torque, F is force, and r is distance.

3. What factors affect the torque on a rectangular plate?

The torque on a rectangular plate is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied, as well as the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The shape and size of the plate can also have an impact on the torque.

4. How does the distribution of weight on a rectangular plate affect the torque?

The distribution of weight on a rectangular plate can affect the torque by changing the center of mass of the plate. If the center of mass is not located at the pivot point, it will create a torque that will cause the plate to rotate.

5. What are some real-life examples of torques on rectangular plates?

Some real-life examples of torques on rectangular plates include opening a door, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, and turning a steering wheel. In each of these cases, a force is applied to the plate at a certain distance from the pivot point, causing it to rotate.