Torque on Two Different-Sign Charged Objects

In summary, torque is a measure of the rotational force experienced by objects due to an external force, and for two different-sign charged objects, it is the rotational force caused by the electric force between them. The torque is calculated using the formula T = r x F, where r is the distance between the objects and F is the electric force. The magnitude of the charges, distance, and direction of the force affect the torque. The direction of the force can either increase or decrease the torque, and its relationship with angular acceleration is given by the formula T = Iα.
denfaro
Homework Statement
Almost Done.
Relevant Equations
T=p*e
Hi I am confused in this question. What Can I do after the steps in second photo?
questıona.jpg
answera.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
denfaro said:
What Can I do after the steps in second photo?
I think you are done: you have calculated the torque, which is what the exercise asked...

Likes denfaro
BvU said:
I think you are done: you have calculated the torque, which is what the exercise asked...
##\dots## except for the units. :oldsmile:

Likes BvU

Related to Torque on Two Different-Sign Charged Objects

1. What is torque on two different-sign charged objects?

Torque on two different-sign charged objects is the measure of the twisting force that is exerted on the objects due to the interaction of their opposite electrical charges. It is a rotational force that causes the objects to rotate around a point.

2. How is torque on two different-sign charged objects calculated?

The torque on two different-sign charged objects is calculated using the formula T = r x F, where T is the torque, r is the distance between the objects, and F is the force of attraction or repulsion between the objects. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two objects.

3. What factors affect the torque on two different-sign charged objects?

The torque on two different-sign charged objects is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the objects, and the dielectric constant of the medium between the objects. The dielectric constant determines the strength of the electric field between the objects, which in turn affects the force of attraction or repulsion between them.

4. How does the direction of the charges affect the torque on two different-sign charged objects?

The direction of the charges affects the direction of the torque. If the charges are opposite, the torque will be in one direction, while if the charges are the same, the torque will be in the opposite direction. This is because the force of attraction or repulsion between the charges is also in opposite directions.

5. What is the significance of torque on two different-sign charged objects?

The torque on two different-sign charged objects is significant in understanding the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. It is also important in practical applications such as electric motors, where the torque is used to rotate a shaft. Additionally, torque can be used to measure the strength of an electric field and the magnitude of charges on objects.