Torque on shaft of pulley question

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the torque on a solid disc pulley with a 5kg mass and a radius of 0.5m, with one layer of thin rope coiled around it. On the other end of the rope is a metal block with a mass of 10kg. The conversation covers different methods of solving the problem, including calculating torque using force and radius, applying Newton's 2nd law, and deriving formulas. The final answer is determined to be 39.2Nm.
pjb73
Hi

Here is my question:
A solid disc pulley with a 5kg mass, radius of 0.5m has one layer of thin rope coiled around it. On the other end of the rope is a metal block with a mass of 10kg.
Calculate the following (without take rope friction into account. also the rope does not slip):
1. The torque on the pulleys shaft.

To solve this I did the following:
Torque = Force x Radius
Torque = 10kg x 0.5m
Torque on pulleys shaft is = 5Nm

Would you please let me know if this is correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) 10 km is a mass, not a force.
(2) What is the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope is mass x gravity = 10 x 9.8 = 98N

So my answer should be:
Torque = Force x Radius
Torque = (10kg x 9.8) x 0.5m
Torque on pulleys shaft is = 49Nm

Is this correct?

Thanks

pjb73 said:
The tension in the rope is mass x gravity = 10 x 9.8 = 98N
That's the weight of the hanging mass, not necessarily the tension in the rope.

Assuming the pulley is free to rotate, there will be acceleration. You'll have to figure out the tension by applying Newton's 2nd law to both the pulley and the hanging mass.

To calculate acceleration 1st calculate pulley inertia:

pulley inertia(I) = 1/2mr2 (2 represents squared)
I = 1/2 x 5 x 0.25
I = 0.625

acceleration(a) = hanging mass weight divided by mass of hanging mass plus pulleys inertia divided by radius squared.
a = 98 / (10 + (0.625 / 0.25))
a = 98 / (10 + 2.5)
a = 7.84 m/s

I think the above is the correct acceleration. I don't know how to calculate the tension on the rope, please would you give me another hint?

thanks

pjb73 said:
I think the above is the correct acceleration. I don't know how to calculate the tension on the rope, please would you give me another hint?
The standard way to solve a problem like this is to introduce an unknown, T, for the tension, another, a, for the linear acceleration, then analyse each of the masses wrt forces/torques/accelerations separately. That would give you a pair of equations from which you could deduce a and T.
You've finessed that by treating the rotational inertia / radius-squared as equivalent to a mass. That works. Having done that, it's easy to get the tension by considering just the hanging mass. There are two forces on it, you know one of them, you know the mass, and you know the acceleration.

Thanks for your reply haruspex

So f = ma
f = 10 x 7.84
f = 78.4N

So the Torque on the pulley shaft - T = fr
T = 78.4N x 0.5m
T = 39.2Nm

Is this correct?

Thanks.

pjb73 said:
So f = ma
f = 10 x 7.84
f = 78.4N
What exactly does f mean here?

f = force

Is that not correct?

pjb73 said:
f = force

Is that not correct?
Yes, but which force?

I was thinking the for I was calculating was the tension force on the rope.

pjb73 said:
I was thinking the for I was calculating was the tension force on the rope.
When you apply Newton's 2nd law, ƩF = ma, you must decide what system or object you are analyzing, in this case the hanging mass. You then must identify all the forces acting on that mass. The rope tension is just one of the forces acting on the mass.

To really learn how to solve this and similar problems, do not rely on "canned" formulas, like the one you used for acceleration in post #5. Instead, derive your own formulas by applying Newton's 2nd law to both the pulley and the hanging mass. (Just like haruspex has advised.)

Also, do not create multiple threads on the same problem! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702575

Related to Torque on shaft of pulley question

1. What is torque on a shaft?

Torque on a shaft is a measure of the force that is applied to rotate or turn the shaft. It is usually measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque on a shaft calculated?

The torque on a shaft can be calculated by multiplying the force applied (F) by the distance from the pivot point (r) to the point where the force is applied, or the lever arm. The formula for torque is T = F x r.

3. What factors affect the torque on a shaft?

The torque on a shaft is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the pivot point to the point of application, and the speed and direction of rotation.

4. How does torque on a shaft impact the pulley system?

The torque on a shaft is directly related to the rotational force of the pulley system. An increase in torque will result in a greater rotational force, while a decrease in torque will result in a weaker rotational force.

5. How can torque on a shaft be adjusted in a pulley system?

The torque on a shaft can be adjusted by changing the force applied, adjusting the distance from the pivot point, or changing the speed and direction of rotation. Additionally, using different sized pulleys or changing the number of pulleys in the system can also impact the torque on the shaft.