Torque of a uniform rod being pivoted.

In summary, torque is the measure of a force's tendency to cause rotational motion around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis. When a force is applied to a uniform rod that is pivoted at one end, the force creates a torque on the rod. The magnitude of the torque depends on the force applied and the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. The torque of a uniform rod being pivoted is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the rod. The direction of the torque in a uniform rod being pivoted is determined by the right-hand
monkeysmine

Homework Statement

A uniform rod 1.1 m long with mass 0.7 kg is pivoted at one end, as shown in Fig. 9-46, and released from a horizontal position.
Find the torque about the pivot exerted by the force of gravity as a function of the angle that the rod makes with the horizontal direction. (Use theta for θ.)
http://www.webassign.net/fgt/9-43.gif

Homework Equations

T = rFsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt has consisted of the following:
1st attempt:
Using the basic formula, and then applying it to obtain ~7.6sin(theta), trying the negative version as well.

I think realized that sin might not be valid to use due to the nature of the direction of application of the force and tried 7.6cos(90-theta), which also did not work.

2nd attempt:
T = angular acceleration * moment of inertia
I solved the moment of inertia to be ~.2823 (mL^2/3).
I defined omega as d/(dt)[int(g)sin(theta)/r].

I then plugged in the values and came up with .2823d/(dt)[int(9.8)sin(theta)/1.1]

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to get into angular accelerations and moment of inertias per attempt 2. The problem is just asking for the torque as a function of theta, per your first attempt equation. You have a couple of errors. In calcualting the torque, where is the gravity force (weight force) applied, and using the cross product definition of torque, T=rf sin alpha, what is the correct angle to use for 'alpha'?

I only tried 2) because 1) did not work.

I crossed .5Lcos(theta)i - .5Lsin(theta)j + 0k with 0i -mgj + 0k

monkeysmine said:
I only tried 2) because 1) did not work.

I crossed .5Lcos(theta)i - .5Lsin(theta)j + 0k with 0i -mgj + 0k
That cross product formula looks OK, but it's way too easy to mess up the calculation when you do it that way. Instead, try using use T=r X F = rF sin alpha , where r is magnitude of the radius (.5L), F is the magnitude of the weight, and alpha is the angle between the radius and weight vector. alpha = ??

Well I double checked my work on a calculator and I'm positive that my cross product was right. I did realize that an error I made was that R is actually r/2 since r goes from the pivot to the center of mass, but this still does not give me the correct answer.

I got T = 3.8cos(90-theta) as a replacement to 3.9sin(theta). I just used my last "guesses" on this problem though, so I will talk to my teacher tomorrow about it. I am positive that one of my 50 answers were right (30+ variations on rounding and truncating) of 3.773cos(90-theta) and I also tried +/- 3.773cos(90-theta).

WebAssign is glitchy anyways, and often requires strange sig. figs or the like.
Thank you for the prompt help!

monkeysmine said:
I got T = 3.8cos(90-theta) as a replacement to 3.9sin(theta). I just used my last "guesses" on this problem though, so I will talk to my teacher tomorrow about it. I am positive that one of my 50 answers were right (30+ variations on rounding and truncating) of 3.773cos(90-theta) and I also tried +/- 3.773cos(90-theta).

WebAssign is glitchy anyways, and often requires strange sig. figs or the like.
Thank you for the prompt help!
Well, sig figures aside, none of your answers are correct. I inadvertently gave you the correct answer, so I've deleted it.

PhanthomJay said:
Well, sig figures aside, none of your answers are correct. I inadvertently gave you the correct answer, so I've deleted it.

3.773 = .5 * 1.1 * .7 * 9.8, so actually, I don't understand why you are saying my answers are incorrect.

That 3.773 (call it 3.8) is fine...it's the cos(90- theta) , (or sin theta), part of the equation, that's wrong. Theta is not the angle between the force and position vectors. I don't know how you got sin theta, even using your cumbersome cross product equation.

...Okay sorry I don't know what I was thinking yesterday I meant I tried cos(theta) and cos(90-theta)...

Okay, I gather you are saying that the (magnitude of) the torque is either 3.8cos theta or 3.8 cos (90-theta); one of those answers is correct for the magnitude of the torque; the other is not. But in any case, the answer may be off by a minus sign in front of the 3.8. Usually, standard convention using the 'right hand rule' assumes that clockwise torques are negative. In that case, you need the minus sign.

Yeah, I meant my original thought was cos(theta) for some reason I kept writing sin. It was probably just kind of late. Apparently Webassign demanded that we round and truncate making the answer 4cos(theta) (shady if you ask me) but hey.

Yes, shady, but correct I guess. Since the least number of significant figures in the given variables is 1 (0.7 has one sig figure), then the answer can have only one sig figure, hence the 4. That's the rule. But while 3.773 would be wrong, I would think that 3.8 ought to be accepted by webassign. I'm surprised they accepted the plus sign. I think a human teacher, instructor, tutor, professor, homework helper, or the like, would be a bit more forgiving, depending on how strict they are.

Related to Torque of a uniform rod being pivoted.

1. What is the definition of torque?

Torque is the measure of a force's tendency to cause rotational motion around an axis, calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis.

2. How is torque related to a uniform rod being pivoted?

When a force is applied to a uniform rod that is pivoted at one end, the force creates a torque on the rod. The magnitude of the torque depends on the force applied and the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the torque of a uniform rod being pivoted?

The torque of a uniform rod being pivoted is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the angle between the force and the rod.

4. How is the direction of torque determined in a uniform rod being pivoted?

In a uniform rod being pivoted, the direction of the torque is determined by the right-hand rule. If the force is applied perpendicular to the rod, the torque is in the same direction as the force. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be perpendicular to both the force and the rod.

5. How can the torque of a uniform rod being pivoted be increased?

The torque of a uniform rod being pivoted can be increased by increasing the magnitude of the force applied, increasing the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied, or by applying the force at a more perpendicular angle to the rod.