Torque in Unit Vector Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque by taking the derivative of angular momentum with respect to time. The individual took the derivative of each given function and plugged in a value for time to obtain the answer. There is confusion about the correctness of parts b-d and whether the signs should be reversed for a clockwise direction. The correct answer would have a negative sign for clockwise rotation.
VitaX

Homework Statement

vhqd91.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque is equal to the derivative of angular momentum with respect to time

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of each function given in parts a - d and plugged in the value for t to get my answer for the torque. I don't quite understand why parts b - d are wrong. Since it says clockwise do I reverse my signs in my final answer? The green portions represent correct answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VitaX! :smile:
VitaX said:
… Since it says clockwise do I reverse my signs in my final answer?

clockwise is negative, so yes, you do reverse the sign (from the start) :wink:

Related to Torque in Unit Vector Notation

1. What is torque in unit vector notation?

Torque in unit vector notation is a mathematical representation of the twisting or rotational force applied to an object. It is expressed as a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is torque calculated in unit vector notation?

To calculate torque in unit vector notation, you must multiply the force vector by the distance vector. The result is a vector representing the torque.

3. How is unit vector notation used in torque calculations?

Unit vector notation is used to represent the direction of the force and distance vectors in torque calculations. This helps to accurately determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting torque vector.

4. What are the advantages of using unit vector notation in torque calculations?

Unit vector notation allows for a more precise and concise representation of torque, as it takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the force and distance vectors. It also allows for easier vector addition and subtraction, making complex torque calculations more manageable.

5. Are there any limitations to using unit vector notation in torque calculations?

One limitation of using unit vector notation in torque calculations is that it can only be applied to objects that rotate around a fixed axis. Additionally, it does not take into account the shape or mass distribution of the object, which can affect the resulting torque.