Torque, force and rotational acceleration

In summary, the question asks whether the force required to keep a mass on a massless ruler at a distance d from the hand would be twice or four times as before if the mass is moved to a distance of 2d from the hand. While the torque equation indicates that the force should be twice, the teacher argues that the rotational inertia of the stick would make it four times. This is due to the stick having two different situations - one static and one dynamic - which result in different answers. The formula for rotational inertia can be used to calculate the result.
The_Journey
This isn't a homework question.

I'm really confused at this, say you're holding a massless ruler / stick and there is a mass (m) on it at a distance d from your hand. If you move the mass to 2d from your hand, would you have to apply twice the force as before, or quadruple to keep it stable?

I know torque = r cross F. F is constant (mg), so the force you would have to apply should be twice if you move it to 2d. But my teacher said it is quadruple because the rotational inertia of the stick would be m(2d)^2 which is 4 times the rotational inertia as before.

Can anybody explain to me if the force would have to be twice or 4 times as before?

Again NOT a homework problem, I just thought of this.

Some equations and math would be nice too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm I'll just put this in the homework section.

NVM...you have two different situations, one static, one dynamic, hence two different answers...if you know the formula for rotational inertia you can work out that result using
v = wr

Naty1 said:
NVM...you have two different situations, one static, one dynamic, hence two different answers...if you know the formula for rotational inertia you can work out that result using
v = wr

Can you explain what you mean by static and dynamic? The stick is always stable.

I can provide a response to this question. The concept of torque, force, and rotational acceleration is closely related to the study of rotational motion and mechanics.

To understand this scenario, we need to first define some key terms. Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Force, on the other hand, is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. In this case, the force being applied is the weight of the mass (mg). Rotational acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity of an object in rotational motion.

Now, let's analyze the scenario mentioned. If you move the mass from d to 2d, the distance from the axis of rotation is doubled. As torque is directly proportional to the distance from the axis of rotation, the torque will also double. This means that to keep the mass stable, you would need to apply twice the force as before.

However, your teacher's explanation about the rotational inertia of the stick is also correct. Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass around the axis of rotation. In this case, when the mass is moved to 2d, the rotational inertia of the stick would increase by a factor of 4. This is because the mass is now at a greater distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

So, to summarize, the force required to keep the mass stable would increase by a factor of two due to the increased torque. However, the rotational inertia of the stick would also increase by a factor of four, resulting in a total force of four times the original force.

Mathematically, we can represent this scenario using the equation for torque, which is τ = r x F. In this equation, τ represents torque, r represents the distance from the axis of rotation, and F represents the force applied. As the distance (r) is doubled, the torque (τ) also doubles. However, the rotational inertia is represented by the equation I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. As r is squared, the rotational inertia will increase by a factor of four when the

Related to Torque, force and rotational acceleration

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to force?

Torque and force are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in force will result in an increase in torque. They are also dependent on the distance from the axis of rotation, as a longer distance will result in a larger torque for the same amount of force.

3. Can torque cause rotational acceleration?

Yes, torque is directly related to rotational acceleration. The larger the torque applied to an object, the greater the rotational acceleration will be. This is because torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate.

4. How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration is calculated by dividing the net torque acting on an object by its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is dependent on its mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque and rotational acceleration?

Some common examples of torque and rotational acceleration in everyday life include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and riding a bike. In all of these scenarios, a force is applied at a distance from an axis of rotation, resulting in torque and potentially rotational acceleration.