Torque calculation on drive half shaft in coast downshift condition

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the torque on a half shaft during a specific event. The event involves downshifting and coasting with the foot off the accelerator pedal. The braking torque is dependent on motor characteristics and the fluid friction of the butterfly. The speaker has data on the drag torque and wheel slip torque, but the torque during the event varies depending on how the clutch is released. The conversation also mentions considering the force needed to accelerate the flywheel and rotating/reciprocating mass of the engine.
kkd
I want to calculate the torque coming onto a half shaft in a very particular event.

The event is I let's say I am in 3rd gear and have reached my max torque zone after which I have taken my foot of the acc pedal...nw I m letting the the vehicle coast as soon as it reaches say 60% of max power rpm I downshift to 2st gear and after downshift m still not pressing the acc pedal..m just letting the vehicle drive by its momentum..

Now during my downshift as soon as I engage the clutch I will have a very high amount of torque cmng onto the shaft...
Pls guide me how to proceed to calculate this torque..!
Thanx in advance... :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
As always, draw a free body diagram.
The braking torque depends on the motor characteristics.
You need to calculate how much torque is required to run the engine against a closed throttle... No easy task...
Do you know the fluid friction across the butterfly etc?

Thanx billy for your reply...
It is basically a fuel in injected engine...I had some some data regarding the drag torque of the engine... If I multiply that value to the gear ratios the torque which is coming is to the tune of 200 Nm per shaft..the wheel slip torque if I consider .8 coefficient of friction comes up to 830 Nm but the incident which I mentioned above the values of torque varies from 1300 Nm to 1700 Nm depending upon the way clutch is released...1300 for gradual & 1700 for sudden...

kkd said:
Thanx billy for your reply...
It is basically a fuel in injected engine...I had some some data regarding the drag torque of the engine... If I multiply that value to the gear ratios the torque which is coming is to the tune of 200 Nm per shaft..the wheel slip torque if I consider .8 coefficient of friction comes up to 830 Nm but the incident which I mentioned above the values of torque varies from 1300 Nm to 1700 Nm depending upon the way clutch is released...1300 for gradual & 1700 for sudden...
Also include the force needed to accelerate the flywheel and rotating/reciprocating mass of the engine.

Related to Torque calculation on drive half shaft in coast downshift condition

1. What is torque calculation on drive half shaft in coast downshift condition?

Torque calculation on drive half shaft in coast downshift condition is the process of determining the amount of torque that is applied to the drive half shaft in a vehicle when it is shifting from a higher gear to a lower gear while coasting. This calculation is important for understanding the power and efficiency of the vehicle's transmission system.

2. Why is torque calculation on drive half shaft in coast downshift condition important?

Knowing the torque on the drive half shaft in coast downshift condition is important for several reasons. It helps engineers design more efficient transmission systems, allows mechanics to diagnose potential issues with the vehicle, and helps drivers understand the power and performance of their vehicle.

3. How is torque calculated on the drive half shaft in coast downshift condition?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the drive half shaft by the distance from the center of rotation to the point of force application. This can be measured using a dynamometer or calculated using mathematical equations based on the vehicle's specifications.

4. What factors can affect torque calculation on the drive half shaft in coast downshift condition?

There are several factors that can affect torque calculation on the drive half shaft, including the engine's power, the vehicle's weight, the gear ratio, and the friction in the transmission system. Changes in any of these factors can impact the amount of torque applied to the drive half shaft.

5. How can torque calculation on the drive half shaft in coast downshift condition be optimized?

To optimize torque calculation on the drive half shaft, engineers can use computer simulations and testing to find the most efficient gear ratios and transmission designs. Additionally, regular maintenance and tuning can help keep the transmission system running smoothly and maintain optimal torque levels.