Torque applied on a lighting column

In summary, Greetings! Aon has difficulty completing a lighting column program due to needing some basic physics done before continuing. He has found the wind torque and added this to the torque applied by the arm, but is still unsure about what the combined torque is. He eventually solves this by adding the mass and length of the armature to the arm.
aon3t
Greetings!

I am currently making a program which is about lighting columns. And I am currently at a halt because I need some basic physics done before I can complete it.

I have a lighting column which is
L = 8 m
D = 0.087 m
M = 69 kg

I have a force, applied from the wind load, at
F = 1235 N

Now I need to find the torque applied on the whole column. I have used this formula earlier
T = ½ ⋅L⋅M⋅g (where I've used F = mg)

This have given me T = 4944 Nm.

I just need a validation if these calculations are correct.

Because my real problems starts now:

I want to add an arm to the top of the lighting column with these data

L = 3m
M = 36 kgs
D = 0.120m

And I wonder what the combined torque applied to the column is now?

The arm will be at a 90° angle outwards from the column like this → Γ

Later on I want to add a lighting armature to the arm and do the same calculations (but that won't be a problem when I understand how the arm affects the column).

English is not my first language, so bear with me if I am unclear, or not using the correct terms.

Science news on Phys.org
Hello aon, :welcome:

Just for clarification: is the column in a vertical position ? If so, there is no torque ½ ⋅L⋅M⋅g (action line of mg goes through base of column).

With the arm (if it's horizontal) you can add T = ½ ⋅Larm⋅Marm⋅g to the wind torque T = ½ ⋅Lcolumn⋅Fwind

Not that at the top of the column the arm exerts this same torque T = ½ ⋅Larm⋅Marm⋅g

BvU said:
Hello aon, :welcome:

Just for clarification: is the column in a vertical position ? If so, there is no torque ½ ⋅L⋅M⋅g (action line of mg goes through base of column).

With the arm (if it's horizontal) you can add T = ½ ⋅Larm⋅Marm⋅g to the wind torque T = ½ ⋅Lcolumn⋅Fwind

Not that at the top of the column the arm exerts this same torque T = ½ ⋅Larm⋅Marm⋅g

Thank you very much. This is currently how I've done it (I used the winload "Fwind" instead of Mg on the column just as you wrote). And yes, the column was in a vertical position.

So if I understand it right: I find the wind torque, and add this to the torque applied by the arm (which, as you said, applies the same torque to the top of the column)?

And one more question:

If I now want to add a lighting armature to this arm. Which have the following data:

L = 0.758m
M = 12 kg

Which is the best way to find the new Tarm?

a) Just add the mass and length to the arm (seeing it as a bit wider and heavier arm than before) and use the same formula as earlier?
b) Find the torque seperately and add them? (this gives me a lower torque than the suggestion above)
c) Find the Farmature=mg of the armature and just add this to the torque formula? (Idea is that then the whole force of the armature is applied to the tip of the arm)

I have the 3 examples (g ≈ 9.81):

a) T = ½ ⋅(Larm+Larmature)⋅(Marm+Marmature)⋅g = ½⋅(3+0.758)⋅(19+12)⋅9.81 = 571.42 Nm

b) Tarmature = ½ ⋅L⋅M⋅g = ½⋅0.758⋅12⋅9.81 = 44.61 Nm
Tarm = ½ ⋅L⋅M⋅g = ½⋅3⋅19⋅9.81 = 279.6 Nm
T = Tarmature + Tarm = 44.61 + 279.6 = 324.21 Nmc) T = ½⋅Larm⋅(Marm+Farmature)⋅g = 456 Nm

Picture is worth ...

upload_2017-2-20_16-4-24.png

So far I have (at O, the base)
Fwind * 4 m ,
marm g * 1.5 m
marmature g * (3 + 1/2 * 0.758) m

At the top, only the latter two​

Thank you! Now I have all I need, I shall write a thanks to you when I hand in my paper for the program.

I had my eyes on how you solved the Tarmature, but I disregarded it because I found the T to be a bit smaller than expected, but that was because I forgot to add it to the Tarm.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome. Good luck with the program.

Related to Torque applied on a lighting column

1. What is torque applied on a lighting column?

Torque applied on a lighting column is the measure of the turning force or rotational force that is applied to the lighting column. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

2. How is torque applied on a lighting column calculated?

Torque applied on a lighting column is calculated by multiplying the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied (known as the lever arm or moment arm) by the magnitude of the force. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. Why is torque applied on a lighting column important?

Torque applied on a lighting column is important because it determines the stability and strength of the column. Too much torque can cause the column to bend or break, while too little torque can result in the column being unstable and unable to withstand external forces such as wind or weight.

4. How does the angle of force affect torque applied on a lighting column?

The angle of force can greatly affect the torque applied on a lighting column. When the force is applied perpendicular to the column, the torque is at its maximum. However, if the force is applied at an angle, the torque is reduced and may not be enough to keep the column stable.

5. What factors can affect torque applied on a lighting column?

There are several factors that can affect torque applied on a lighting column, including the distance between the force and the point of rotation, the angle of force, the weight and shape of the column, and external forces such as wind or other objects pushing against the column.