Torque and Statics Balance Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using a balance to determine the true weight of an object. The equation for torque is used to determine the weight marked up when the fulcrum is displaced by 1cm. However, this method is deemed unrealistic and the correct approach is to balance the weights in the pans until the torques are equal.
lemonlimesoap

Homework Statement

Two pans of a balance are 50cm apart. If the fulcrum is displaced by 1cm what percentage is the true weight marked up?

Homework Equations

T=rFsinθ
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for torque of the fulcrum in a hypothetical situation where a mass of 1g is on one end and a mass of 2g on the other

First with the fulcrum in the center making the lever arms 25cm
T=T1+T2

T=7.3575Nm

then with the displaced fulcrum by 1cm. Making the lever arms 24cm and 26cm

T=7.4556Nm

finally i just did percent error

(7.4556Nm-7.3575Nm)/7.3575Nm *100= 1.3%

I'm pretty sure this is wrong since I was just winging it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lemonlimesoap! :wink:
lemonlimesoap said:
Two pans of a balance are 50cm apart. If the fulcrum is displaced by 1cm what percentage is the true weight marked up?

I solved for torque of the fulcrum in a hypothetical situation where a mass of 1g is on one end and a mass of 2g on the other

nooo :redface:

you're not being realistic about the way a balance works …

a balance works by being balanced

you put an unknown mass in one pan, and known masses in the other pan until the torques are equal

so start again, with 1g in one pan, and m in the other pan …

what is m ? :smile:

Related to Torque and Statics Balance Problem

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to statics balance?

In statics balance, torque is used to determine whether an object is in equilibrium or not. If the total torque acting on an object is zero, then the object is in a state of static equilibrium.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque is a force that causes an object to rotate in the direction of a clock's hands, while counterclockwise torque causes an object to rotate in the opposite direction.

What factors affect the torque on an object?

The factors that affect the torque on an object include the magnitude of the force, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm.

How can torque be used to solve statics balance problems?

To solve statics balance problems, torque equations can be used to determine the unknown forces and/or distances involved. By setting the sum of all torques equal to zero, the unknown variables can be solved for using basic algebra.