Torque and force problem -- Atwood's Machine Motion

What is the left hand side of that in terms of a? Likewise, the right hand side? Be... careful...The left hand side is a, and the right hand side is a/2The left hand side is a, and the right hand side is a/2Now you see your error. You must include the acceleration of the two masses in the two equations.Now you see your error. You must include the acceleration of the two masses in the two equations.In summary, the problem involves finding the torque on a disk using force and torque rather than conservation of energy. The net torque on the disk is related to its motion, and the motivation for finding the torque is to determine the linear acceleration of
Fascheue

Homework Statement

Solve problem 8.1, but using force and torque rather than conservation of energy. (Image of 8.1 attached)

Homework Equations

T = f x d

f = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I might have to find the torque on the disk, which I’m guessing would be 2mgr - mgr, but I’m not quite where to go from here or if that is even correct.

Attachments

• 276AEBA4-E4A7-4658-A75F-8EC8B6C931E5.jpeg
    276AEBA4-E4A7-4658-A75F-8EC8B6C931E5.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 644
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the net torque on the disk related to its motion? What was your motivation for finding the torque to begin with?

Likes Fascheue
RedDelicious said:
How is the net torque on the disk related to its motion? What was your motivation for finding the torque to begin with?
I know torque has some relation to acceleration. I think it might be T = Iw’, and since the pulley mass is a disk I = 1/4mr^2. If I plug in the torque gotten from the previous equation, mgr, that gives me 4g/r for w’. I think I should be able to get the linear acceleration of the disk from this, which should be equal to the acceleration of the system, but I’m not quite sure what that formula is.

Fascheue said:
I = 1/4mr^2
Not 1/4. Try again.
Fascheue said:
should be able to get the linear acceleration of the disk from this
Yes. If a disc radius r rotates through an angle θ, through what distance does a point on the rim move?

Likes Fascheue
haruspex said:
Not 1/4. Try again.

Yes. If a disc radius r rotates through an angle θ, through what distance does a point on the rim move?
Oops, I must’ve found the moment of inertia for the wrong axis. I believe it should be 1/2mr^2Would the point move a distance rθ?

Fascheue said:
Would the point move a distance rθ?
Right, and for circular motion you can find the relationship between linear velocity and angular velocity by differentiating, and again for accelerations.

Likes Fascheue
haruspex said:
Right, and for circular motion you can find the relationship between linear velocity and angular velocity by differentiating, and again for accelerations.
I think that should make the relationship a = rθ’’

Using the equation T = Iθ’’ where I is 1/2mr^2 and T is mgr, I got 2g/r for θ’’.

Then converting to linear acceleration using the formula a = rθ’’ gave me a = 2g.

That would be twice as much as free fall; doesn't that look a bit weird ?

A tip: what do the FBDs for ##m## and the ##2m## look like ? Then make the link with the ##\tau = I\alpha## for the disk.

Likes Fascheue
BvU said:
That would be twice as much as free fall; doesn't that look a bit weird ?

A tip: what do the FBDs for ##m## and the ##2m## look like ? Then make the link with the ##\tau = I\alpha## for the disk.
I now see why 2g doesn’t make sense, but I can’t find my mistake.

The torque seems like it should be 2mgr - mgr = mgr

I = 1/2mr^2

T = Iθ’’

mgr = 1/2mr^2θ’’

θ’’ = 2g/r

a = rθ’’

a = 2g

Let me then convert my tip into a direct question:
BvU said:
what do the FBDs for ##m## and the ##2m## look like

Likes Fascheue
BvU said:
Let me then convert my tip into a direct question:
For 2m: 2mg -T

For m: mg - T

Where + is down

If the two T are equal, there is no net torque on the disk :rolleyes:

Likes Fascheue
BvU said:
If the two T are equal, there is no net torque on the disk :rolleyes:
So would they be

m1: mg - T1

m2: 2mg - T2

And then the forces on the disk be the tensions in the rope?

Also, I thought tension was supposed to be the same everywhere unless the rope had mass, is that then incorrect?

Yes, that is indeed not correct where the rope is in contact along the perimeter of the disk. Think friction.

Likes Fascheue
Fascheue said:
And then the forces on the disk be the tensions in the rope?
Yes. The third and fourth force on the disk are gravity and the suspension.

Now count your unknowns and your equations so see if you can solve...

Likes Fascheue
Fascheue said:
I thought tension was supposed to be the same everywhere unless the rope had mass, is that then incorrect?
That's because you are accustomed to questions which specify massless pulleys (or static force balances).

Likes Fascheue
BvU said:
Yes. The third and fourth force on the disk are gravity and the suspension.

Now count your unknowns and your equations so see if you can solve...
Hmm, I keep getting 2/3g but it looks like my book is saying that the answer is 2/7g

I had t = T2r - T1rwhere t is torque and the T’s are tensions. I don’t believe the other forced add torque because they are acting on the center of the disk.

Then I = 1/2mr^2

t = Iθ’’

T2r - T1r = 1/2mr^2θ’’

I then found that T1 = 1/2T2 by setting the force acting on the second mass by the second mass equal to the force acting on the first mass divided by the first mass.

I now have 1/2T2r = 1/2mr^2θ’’

T2 = mrθ’’

θ’’ = T2/mr

a = rθ’’

a = T2/m

Which should be equal to the forces on the second mass divided by the second mass

(2mg - T2)/2m= T2/m

(2mg - T2)/2 = T2

mg - 1/2T2 = T2

2/3mg = T2

a = 2/3g

Fascheue said:
found that T1 = 1/2T2 by setting the force acting on the second mass by the second mass equal to the force acting on the first mass divided by the first mass.
But those tensions are not the only forces acting on those masses. The net forces must be in proportion to the masses.

Likes Fascheue
haruspex said:
But those tensions are not the only forces acting on those masses. The net forces must be in proportion to the masses.
I didn’t use just the tensions for those forces

I had (2mg - T2)/2m = (mg-T1)/m

Multiplied by m

(2mg - T2)/2 = mg - T1

mg - 1/2T2 = mg - T1

mg cancels out

-1/2T2 = -T1

T1 = 1/2T2

Fascheue said:
I had (2mg - T2)/2m = (mg-T1)/m
What is the left hand side of that in terms of a? Likewise, the right hand side? Be careful.

Likes Fascheue
haruspex said:
What is the left hand side of that in terms of a? Likewise, the right hand side? Be careful.
I added the negative to one side of the equation, finished solving, and ended up with the correct answer.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Likes BvU

Related to Torque and force problem -- Atwood's Machine Motion

1. What is an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string, with one mass hanging over a pulley. It is used to study the relationship between torque and force.

2. How is torque related to force in an Atwood's Machine?

In an Atwood's Machine, the torque applied to the pulley is equal to the force of gravity acting on the hanging mass multiplied by the distance between the pulley and the center of mass of the system.

3. What is the purpose of using an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine is commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of equilibrium and motion, and to determine the relationship between torque and force. It can also be used to measure the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is the acceleration of the system calculated in an Atwood's Machine?

The acceleration of the system can be calculated using the formula a = (m1-m2)g/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life applications of an Atwood's Machine?

An Atwood's Machine has practical applications in engineering and mechanics, such as in elevator systems and weightlifting equipment. It is also used in physics education to demonstrate the principles of motion and equilibrium.