Topology by Simmons Problem 1.3.3

In summary: Well, no. You need to define what the mapping ##g## is for ALL ##y## in ##Y##. You can't just suppose there is one. For the onto case you need to do the same thing for ##h##. If these are infinite sets you'll find you may have to make an infinite number of choices. The assumption you can do this is called the axiom of choice. It's a little technical and if you haven't talked about it just assume you can do that.
Figaro

Homework Statement

Let ##X## and ## Y## be non-empty sets, ##i## be the identity mapping, and ##f## a mapping of ##X## into ##Y##. Show the following

a) ##f## is one-to-one ##~\Leftrightarrow~## there exists a mapping ##g## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##gf=i_X##
b) ##f## is onto ##~\Leftrightarrow~## there exists a mapping ##h## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##fh=i_Y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##~\Rightarrow~## Since ##f## is one-to-one, there exist ##y \in Y## such that ##y=f(x)## for some ##x\in X##, this shows that there exist at least some mapping ##g## that maps ##Y## into ##X## such that ##x=g(y)=g(f(x))=(gf)(x)## for some ##y##, and also ##gf=i_X##.

b) ##~\Rightarrow~## Since ##f## is onto, for all ##y\in Y## there exist some ##x\in X## such that ##y=f(x)##, this shows that there exist some mapping ##h## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##x=h(y)## and ##y=f(x)=f(h(y))=(fh)(y)## which implies ##fh=i_Y##.

I have done the forward proof but I just want to know if my proof here is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figaro said:

Homework Statement

Let ##X## and ## Y## be non-empty sets, ##i## be the identity mapping, and ##f## a mapping of ##X## into ##Y##. Show the following

a) ##f## is one-to-one ##~\Leftrightarrow~## there exists a mapping ##g## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##gf=i_X##
b) ##f## is onto ##~\Leftrightarrow~## there exists a mapping ##h## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##fh=i_Y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##~\Rightarrow~## Since ##f## is one-to-one, there exist ##y \in Y## such that ##y=f(x)## for some ##x\in X##, this shows that there exist at least some mapping ##g## that maps ##Y## into ##X## such that ##x=g(y)=g(f(x))=(gf)(x)## for some ##y##, and also ##gf=i_X##.

b) ##~\Rightarrow~## Since ##f## is onto, for all ##y\in Y## there exist some ##x\in X## such that ##y=f(x)##, this shows that there exist some mapping ##h## of ##Y## into ##X## such that ##x=h(y)## and ##y=f(x)=f(h(y))=(fh)(y)## which implies ##fh=i_Y##.

I have done the forward proof but I just want to know if my proof here is correct.

I'm sure you have the right idea. In the injective case you can simply define what ##g## is. For the surjective case you need to show there exists such a function ##h##. What you need for a formal statement is the axiom of choice.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I'm sure you have the right idea. In the injective case you can simply define what ##g## is. For the surjective case you need to show there exists such a function ##h##. What you need for a formal statement is the axiom of choice.

So you mean in a) I should state it as,
Since ##f## is one-to-one and suppose that there exist a mapping ##g## of ##Y## into ##X##, then ##x=g(y)=g(f(x))=(gf)(x)## which implies ##gf=i_X##.

In b) didn't I already show that there exist a mapping ##h## since for every ##y## there is always an ##x## such that ##y=f(x)##? If not, what do you mean by using the axiom of choice? How should I use it to formalize the proof?

Figaro said:
So you mean in a) I should state it as,
Since ##f## is one-to-one and suppose that there exist a mapping ##g## of ##Y## into ##X##, then ##x=g(y)=g(f(x))=(gf)(x)## which implies ##gf=i_X##.

In b) didn't I already show that there exist a mapping ##h## since for every ##y## there is always an ##x## such that ##y=f(x)##? If not, what do you mean by using the axiom of choice? How should I use it to formalize the proof?

Well, no. You need to define what the mapping ##g## is for ALL ##y## in ##Y##. You can't just suppose there is one. For the onto case you need to do the same thing for ##h##. If these are infinite sets you'll find you may have to make an infinite number of choices. The assumption you can do this is called the axiom of choice. It's a little technical and if you haven't talked about it just assume you can do that.

Related to Topology by Simmons Problem 1.3.3

1. What is Topology by Simmons Problem 1.3.3?

Topology by Simmons Problem 1.3.3 is a specific problem from the book "Topology" written by James R. Munkres. It is a textbook used in many undergraduate and graduate level courses in mathematics and focuses on the study of topological spaces.

2. What is the purpose of Problem 1.3.3 in Topology by Simmons?

The purpose of Problem 1.3.3 is to introduce the concept of open sets in a topological space and to help students understand the definition and properties of open sets.

3. How difficult is Problem 1.3.3 in Topology by Simmons?

The difficulty of Problem 1.3.3 may vary for each individual, but it is considered to be a beginner level problem in the study of topology. It requires a basic understanding of open sets and their properties.

4. Can Problem 1.3.3 be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple ways to approach and solve Problem 1.3.3 in Topology by Simmons. Some common methods include using definitions and theorems, drawing diagrams, or using logical reasoning.

5. How can solving Problem 1.3.3 benefit my understanding of topology?

Solving Problem 1.3.3 can help you gain a better understanding of the concept of open sets and their properties, which are fundamental in the study of topology. It also allows you to practice your problem-solving skills and apply your knowledge to a specific problem in the subject.