Too Complex for me - multiple torques on rotating disc

In summary, the picture shows a project that is in the early conceptual stage. The outer 'wheel' rotates about its central axis, driven at that axis by a small motor. Near the outer rim of that wheel is a through-hole, with a ball bearing, and an axle going through to a 'hanging-weight' (for this example anyway). On the back-side of that 'hanging weight' axle, a rotational load-torque is placed, that is relative to the main wheel center axis. As the outer wheel is turned, how much of the "load torque" (percentage or formula) would be reflected back to the main wheel drive motor? Assume the load is light enough that
pron
Hi all... my first time here... I hope someone can help.

I'm toying with a home project (in the early conceptual stage), and the attached picture shows "in general terms" what I'm trying to figure out.

The outer 'wheel' rotates about its central axis, driven at that axis by a small motor.

Near the outer rim of that wheel is a through-hole, with a ball bearing, and an axle going through to a 'hanging-weight' (for this example anyway).

On the back-side of that 'hanging weight' axle, a rotational load-torque is placed, that is relative to the main wheel center axis.

As the outer wheel is turned, how much of the "load torque" (percentage or formula) would be reflected back to the main wheel drive motor?

Assume the load is light enough that the weight does not significantly swing... and just hangs straight down... just looking for what I'd call "inferred counter-torque".

(BTW... I have had ZERO mechanical physics training/classes, so please excuse any obvious stupidity in my question or the way I'm asking... ask me about Electronics though, and I'm quite capable there)

Am I missing anything needed to make this calculation?
(Is this even possible to calculate, since gravity seems to play part of it?)

The "load" can be envisioned as an "adjustable slip-collar" fastened around the "hanging weight axle", with an arm extending from this collar back to the 'main wheel' axis point, with a frictionless bearing so no drag is incurred. This "slip-collar" is adjusted loose enough that the axle will turn, but will also present a rotating torque against that axle.

The only unknown reference point is for the drive motor (which is the same as the main wheel mounting/supporting structure), but that should not affect the calculation, since the load torque refers back to the 'main wheel' axis, and not the main wheel mounting point.

Assume: the main wheel is balanced by an additional identical weight, exactly opposite the one shown.

Weird problem... I know... I keep thinking there will be no effect... no additional torque reflected back to the main wheel drive motor.

I'm hoping for someone to just show me the math on how to calculate this, since these "example" values are drastically off from my real values.

THANKS... in advance!

[PLAIN]http://home.comcast.net/~rchinnery3/miscpix/physics_question_sml.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I could not open the picture to view it.

Naty1 said:
I could not open the picture to view it.
Try again... picture fixed

Related to Too Complex for me - multiple torques on rotating disc

1. What is the concept of multiple torques on a rotating disc?

The concept of multiple torques on a rotating disc refers to the situation where more than one force is acting on a disc that is rotating around a fixed axis. These forces, or torques, can be caused by various factors such as friction, gravity, and applied forces.

2. Why is this concept considered too complex for some people?

This concept may be considered too complex for some people because it involves understanding the principles of rotational motion and how multiple forces can affect the motion of an object. It also requires knowledge of vector calculations and the use of equations such as the moment of inertia and torque equations.

3. How do multiple torques affect the motion of a rotating disc?

Multiple torques can cause the disc to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction of rotation. The net torque on the disc is determined by the vector sum of all the individual torques acting on it. If the net torque is non-zero, the disc will experience angular acceleration, resulting in a change in its rotational motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of multiple torques on a rotating disc?

Some real-life examples of multiple torques on a rotating disc include the rotation of a bicycle wheel caused by the forces exerted by the pedals and the ground, the spinning of a helicopter rotor due to the lift and drag forces, and the rotation of a merry-go-round due to the push of people and the friction from the bearings.

5. How is the concept of multiple torques on a rotating disc applied in scientific research?

The concept of multiple torques on a rotating disc is applied in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics. For instance, it is used to study the motion of celestial bodies, the behavior of rotating machinery, and the mechanics of human movement. Understanding and analyzing multiple torques is crucial in predicting and controlling the motion of rotating systems.