Tom DeLay: Indicted on conspiracy charges

In summary, Tom DeLay and two political associates have been indicted for conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme by a Texas grand jury. This could force DeLay to step down as House majority leader. DeLay has a history of ethics violations and many are not surprised by the indictment. He has been defended by his spokesman and accused the Democrats of being behind the charges. However, the charges are not connected to his duties in office but rather to his actions as a PAC founder and chairman. If convicted, there is speculation that DeLay will be pardoned by President Bush. Many are happy to see DeLay go and some even hope that Senator Frist will follow suit. There are concerns that if DeLay is not convicted
Earle gets a little help from the Grand Jury Foreman: http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=146685

Go figure! Anywho, a thing like this is enough to end a career. Oh, what ever happened to the "Contract With America" once spearheaded by the republicans and DeLay? Hmmm...

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
When DeLay's defense attorney was on the Abrams report, he explained that he is contending Earle goes after his political enemies, not Republicans specifically.
Well, do you think that Earle would be a Democrat if he had many political enemies who were also Democrats? :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, I found one line of this article extremely funny:

But Earle also likes to say that power cannot be abused by those who lack it, and for much of his career, Democrats dominated Texas politics. His supporters cite a list of Democratic officials who were convicted or pleaded guilty after Earle prosecuted them. They include a state legislator from El Paso in 2000, and two from Waco in 1995; a San Antonio voter registrar in 1992; and the state treasurer in 1982. Earle even prosecuted himself in 1983, paying a $212 fine for tardy campaign finance disclosure filings.
LOL! On a serious note, this guy seems like a very straight shooter. I just hope that the spin machine doesn't completely ruin his career.

And now for something completely different---Money Laundering.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/03/p...&en=4f9466e0dd81f78c&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Man, those partisan Grand Juries (plural as in more than one as in multiple juries with an S) are just out of control! How dare those democrats pack Juries (with an S) with nothing but democrats hell bent on slandering Tom DeLay. How dare they go after poor poor Mr. Innocent DeLay---He was only abmonished for ethics violations three times give a guy a break!

Last edited:
faust9 said:
And now for something completely different---Money Laundering.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/03/p...&en=4f9466e0dd81f78c&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Man, those partisan Grand Juries (plural as in more than one as in multiple juries with an S) are just out of control! How dare those democrats pack Juries (with an S) with nothing but democrats hell bent on slandering Tom DeLay. How dare they go after poor poor Mr. Innocent DeLay---He was only abmonished for ethics violations three times give a guy a break!
Yet DeLay vows he will continue leadership in the GOP (I understand he keeps a little blackmail book, so who knows). Even if he is never convicted, Republicans are growing tired of the liability. I hope the charges keep coming until there is a conviction to wipe that cocky grin off his face.

Informal Logic said:
Yet DeLay vows he will continue leadership in the GOP (I understand he keeps a little blackmail book, so who knows). Even if he is never convicted, Republicans are growing tired of the liability. I hope the charges keep coming until there is a conviction to wipe that cocky grin off his face.

I think this indictment along with the revelation that Earle has prosecuted mor dems than elephants is enough to wipe the grin off of the exterminators face.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/03/delay.indictment/index.html

CNN said:
In a written statement, DeLay called the indictment another example of "prosecutorial abuse" by District Attorney Ronnie Earle.

"He is trying to pull the legal equivalent of a 'do-over,' since he knows very well that the charges he brought against me last week are totally manufactured and illegitimate," said the Texas Republican. "This is an abomination of justice."

The fact that the first Grand Jury foreman said "Hey moron! We, the Grand Jury, indicted you not Earle!" or something like that hushed Delay initially. His grandstanding immediatly following the indictment died down to a dull roar following the Foreman's statements. I think this second little briar patch of trouble will hush DeLay a little more. Hopefully he will become Kryptonite to DC movers and shakers over the next day or three.

Yet another indictment. I heard the money laundering indicment came from a different grand jury.

Grand Jury Indicts DeLay on New Charges ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051004/ap_on_go_co/delay_indictment )
AUSTIN, Texas - Rep. Tom DeLay was indicted for a second time in less than a week by a Texas grand jury looking into campaign contributions, a development the former U.S. House majority leader called "an abomination of justice."

Defense lawyers asked a judge Monday to throw out the first indictment, arguing that the charge of conspiring to violate campaign finance laws was based on a statute that didn't take effect until 2003 — a year after the acts in question.
Can't prosecute DeLay if that is the case. Ex post facto.

Last edited by a moderator:
More trouble for DeLay?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/04/MNGNDF28O21.DTL

The new indictment was issued as Bush administration officials confirmed news reports in London that the Justice Department has asked British police to question former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher about the circumstances of her meeting in 2000 with DeLay during a lavish trip to Britain organized by Washington lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

The interview request was the first publicly disclosed evidence from the Justice Department that DeLay is under scrutiny in the department's wide-ranging corruption investigation of Abramoff.

This is simply HILARIOUS !

The sequence of Monday's events make clear that neither side is prepared to back down from confrontation. At about noon, DeLay attorney Dick DeGuerin wrote in a letter to Earle: "I request . . . you immediately agree to dismiss this indictment so that the political consequences can be reversed." The response, from Earle, was instead to expand the allegations.

curious...what's the difference between this investigation and that of Peolosi's?

kat said:
curious...what's the difference between this investigation and that of Peolosi's?
Originally Posted by kat
Just curious...for those who've had more time then I lately...
Who on the GOP side has been indicted other then Delay...and how many have been convicted in the last year?

and then..on the Dem side?

pattylou said:
It sounds like you know the answer.

This is the sort of thing I am asking for. (The OP says something like "I am sure there are democratic examples as well") By all means, you are under no obligation to add the information you have. But if you would I'd appreciate it.

thanks Kat.
:rolleyes:

Here's a link: http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050504-122024-4420r.htm

"The Republicans are yet again attempting to muddy the waters to divert attention from their pattern of abusing of power," spokeswoman Jennifer Crider said yesterday.
Perhaps Pelosi is being a hypocrite...or is this more of the 'he is bad, but so are they' type of argument, and a very old one.

DeLay has been charged with a criminal offense. Pelosi's offense would be more similar to an NCAA rules violation. Actually, you could slam a great deal of Republicans, Democrats, Independents, and, yes, even Naderites, if you went through the entire http://www.fec.gov/press/press2005/2005news.shtml.

Edit: By the way, DeLay isn't actually guilty of a criminal offense, yet. On the surface, it sounds more similar to other FEC violations unless some more incriminating details emerge.

Apparently he could get up to life in prison!

If you read the indictment, it would be hard to categorize it as an accidental technical rules violation. When they sent the corporate money to the RNC, they were very specific about who and how much each RNC check to Texas candidates should be. It would be hard to consider it anything besides an intentional circumventing of Texas law.

If it is a legal loophole, it pretty much makes Texas campaign laws (and other states campaign laws) a meaningless exercise in futility.

BobG said:
If you read the indictment, it would be hard to categorize it as an accidental technical rules violation. When they sent the corporate money to the RNC, they were very specific about who and how much each RNC check to Texas candidates should be. It would be hard to consider it anything besides an intentional circumventing of Texas law.

If it is a legal loophole, it pretty much makes Texas campaign laws (and other states campaign laws) a meaningless exercise in futility.

I.E. Conspiracy and money laundering :approve:. I had a much longer response to your original post but the god forsaken Windows PC locked up when I was in the middle of typing(I blame MS for an error that was most likely related to UG).

In his radio comments on Tuesday, Mr. DeLay offered a new insight on the case, saying he made a mistake in a voluntary interview with the prosecutor's office a few weeks ago that helped prompt the indictments.

He would not discuss his mistake in detail, but it apparently concerned the $190,000 check that is central to the case. Mr. Earle charges that the money, which included money from corporate interests in Texas, was turned over to the Republican National Committee with instructions to return $190,000 to designated candidates for the Texas Legislature. The accusation is that the transaction was intended to circumvent a prohibition on the use of corporate money in state races.

"I misspoke one sentence, and they have based all of this on one sentence," Mr. DeLay told Mr. Limbaugh. "They think that before the check was cut and sent to the national committee that I approved this check. I didn't know this went on until well after it happened."

Riiiight...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/politics/05delay.html